Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance?

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #1  

bdhsfz6

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5800 HST & L6060 HSTC Formerly L6060 HST B7100 HST, L2550, L3010 HST, L3430 HST
I currently have two tractors and am considering a third to use exclusively for maintenance on my 1.25 mile private road. I do a lot of grading, ditch work, hauling & spreading material, etc. Some of the work is in tight spaces. Ignoring the significant difference in price between a CUT and a skid steer, what would you choose and why?

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #2  
"What would I choose?" I'd save my money and use what I have. With two decent sized tractors you surely don't need another for dedicated driveway maintenance, even if it is over a mile. Do you have a front end loader, box scraper, landscape rake and rear blade? If not, those are the implements I would need for your listed jobs.

"Why?" 1) I don't have room for another tractor. 2) I have all the implements I need for driveway chores. 3) I cannot justify the big money for a decent skid steer and the implements required. 4) I have access to a neighbor's skid steer if I ever have the need, (only needed it once in past 15 years).

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #3  
I dislike the "steer" part of a SS. Unless you have a 5th wheel on a wheeled machine a SS is rough on the turf and ground. They can be jerky as well. Tracks are a whole different set of issues. All that being said a SS can't be beat for efficiency, capacity and fitting in tight spaces. They also have great flow rates for hydraulic attachments. For me personally, I can't stand having to get in and out of the seat.

And what JJT said.

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #4  
Based on my experience I'd say tractor with implements listed above.

CAVEAT: My driveway has been paved for 30 years, is only 0.0568182 miles long and I've never operated a SS :)

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #6  
It sounds like you have plenty to spend if you are considering buying a dedicated piece of equipment strictly for the maintenance of your driveway , so if money was no object I would get a 75 HP tracked SS to stay out of having to use DEF fluid and because there really is no comparison to a tractor and a SS when doing dirt work, If you do look at skid steers I would highly recommend a slide up overhead door verses a fold out door, with the overhead door it doesn't matter where your arms are raised you can still enter and exit the cab which is a must when working by yourself, with a foldout door you can't.
Good luck. Charlie.

/ Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #7  
In my hands, the relative short wheelbase of a skid steer/CTL makes forward grading difficult. (Each hump or dip under the wheels is magnified out at the implement. Seems like most operators back-drag in float mode if they can.

Also, unlike a 3ph tractor, if you want to tilt the blade in the vertical plane, you'll probably need an expensive implement.

Last edited:
   / Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #8  
I have a mile of road to maintain. I have a 50 hp tractor and a 50 hp SS. The tractor is best for the road maintenance with either the box blade or the landplane. It takes both attachments to meet do all the work.
There is a grader blade attachment available for a SS with forward wheels but they are too expensive for me and finding one used close by has proved impossible so far.

Last edited:
   / Skid Steer or CUT for Road Maintenance? #9  
I have a tractor and a tracked SVL 65 Kubota. While I can grade with the SVL, my preference is to use my tractor. I can grade better with the tractor. Which can probably be attributed to the fact that I have hundreds of hours more use on the tractor than the SVL 65. A more skilled operator can most likely do this with ease. Just because you buy a skid steer, it does not come with the experience.