Buying Advice Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp

/ Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp #1  

JME81

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610HSDC
I've been going back and forth for a long time now and am getting closer to really needing a tractor. We have a few acres of land, mostly flat, _slight gradual elevation_.

Things that I'd like to do:
  1. Front mounted snow blowing
  2. Moving compost / Dirt / Rocks around
  3. Ground rake
  4. Maybe rototilling a 100x100 patch of ground
  5. Pulling of some logs (nothing massive)

With that said, I've watch A LOT of Youtube videos, read here and spoken with dealers. Many try to push me towards a larger 35HP machine, saying to go larger than you think you need which I think is good advice, however, I do have some concerns.

GP Outdoors uses a Kubota B2601and one of the newer LX 24HP tractors; I pretty much want to do what he does and it looks like those machines handle it fine? I'm also concerned with Tier 4 issues if there are any now on the newer models.

I'm looking at the Kioti CK2610 and the CK3510se. I like the features of the SE, mainly the FEL control location and the seat... Cab has always been a dream but it's just so much more money when I could put that towards a snowblower. I live in New England.

Last edited:
   / Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp #2  
I believe either will get your jobs done. I have much more challenging terrain here in the White Mountains of NH and my CK2610HST is more than adequate and I don't have to worry about the regen business.
I'm sure you have sat in both units, so that would be personal preference. For me, the comfort, ergonomics and seat quality in the CK2610HST was far above the non-Kioti competition.
I actually sit on my tractor in the garage and read!

/ Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp #3  
Comes down to how quickly you want to get stuff done. Are you retired and this is part of your honey-do project list or are you working 60 hrs a week and only have weekends to commit to projects?

Overall I'm a big fan of larger tractors, got my MX when I only had 7 acres and never felt like it was too much tractor because I could get a lot of stuff done with just a few hours or tractor time.

/ Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp
I use a push snowblower now, so anything will be faster than that, especially in the wet heavy stuff. For pulling, etc. I'm not in a massive rush but I've never experienced a fast tractor. I work 40 hours so the work work be done before or after work and weekends. I've sat on the SE models but not the non, they didn't have any in stock. I love the seat on the SE. I like the cab a lot but just am not sure about the price.

/ Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp #5  
Look at what will run your snowblower and go from there. For smaller tractors they frequently have a front PTO. Many larger tractors lack this feature. That will mean you either run your snow blower (or thrower) from the hydraulics or some kind of rear to front PTO adaptation. If you go for the hydraulic drive that will take more gallons per minute than many compact tractors can provide. That may require an external PTO driven hydraulic pump. Figure out how you want to handle your snow and find a tractor that's compatible.

/ Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp #6  
#2 and 5

Rent a small machine, then try moving rocks and soil. Try dragging logs.

If you are satisfied, buy the 24HP.

FYI Even the 35HP will struggle on these tasks.

For the other items a smaller tractor will do, it will just take longer to do it.

#2 and 5

Rent a small machine, then try moving rocks and soil. Try dragging logs.

If you are satisfied, buy the 24HP.

FYI Even the 35HP will struggle on these tasks.

For the other items a smaller tractor will do, it will just take longer to do it.
That's where I get confused on these types of statements. The B2601 does not seem to struggle in his videos. I rented a Kioti CS and did not like it.

/ Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp #8  
Rent a small kubota and see if you like that size tractor...

I'll look around but I don't think I'll have success. Inventory on rentals is scarce. I'd like to get back on topic though.... :D

/ Sizing advice 24 vs 35hp #10  
  3. Ground rake
  5. Pulling logs (nothing massive)

These two applications require the tractor's POWER TAKE OFF (PTO) to power the snowblower and roto-tiller.
The more power you have the wider implement you can power. With more power you can throw snow farther.

If you have room to stash snow, a front mount snow plow moves snow faster than a blower.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tractor+snow+plow+vs+snow+blower

3. Ground rake
  5. Pulling logs (nothing massive)

These applications are primarily dependent on bare tractor weight. Heavier tractors have better traction. Heavier tractors are outfitted with more capable Loaders. Heavier tractors are wider, which increases tractor stability. Four inches of additional width increase tractor stability considerably.

Pulling logs is easy for a tractor. Tractors are primarily pulling machines.

I'm also concerned with Tier 4 issues if there are any now on the newer models.

Once the 24-1/2 hp threshold is crossed all new tractors must meet Tier IV emission standards and most, not all, have the complication and expense of Tier IV emission controls. (Some of Kubota 'B's with 26 hp meet Tier IV standards through tuning and operation at fairly high engine speeds, without regeneration.)

Today the regeneration process is smoother than it was at introduction seven years ago but still confounds some tractor operators, especially those who may only need to regenerate once per year, due to minimal use.

Tractors under 3,000 pounds bare tractor weight are mostly used on three to ten acres of flat terrain. Less than 24-1/2 hp is often adequate.

Last edited: