since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP...

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #11  
Well, I'm sitting inside with a health issue when I would rather be outside, so I'm a little cranky, and apologize for that. I understand that you can't sell a tractor unless you can get the customer to the dealership, and that listing the MSRP on the web site might deter some from ever stopping in when in fact those prices don't reflect what the market will bear in your area. I have never once asked a dealer what MSRP was either, since it is irrevelant once you are talking price with a dealer. For a manufacturer not to state a suggested retail price though is like them saying we sell all our products at auction to the highest bidder, and have no reserve price. I worked in manufacturing consumer products for 36 years, and was deeply involved in new product introductions. I know how hard it is to come up with that price, and I also know how hard it is to manufacture a product for less profit than the distributor, or dealer ends up with. Still, the company I worked for did do the hard work, and published the msrp on their web site, and in their catalogs though they were widely discounted at the retail level. ( you may own some actually) After many years of doing this, most customers knew that the price they heard at the dealer for our products would not be what the catalog said, but at least they had an idea whether what they were looking at was $600.00, or $1600.00. Web site, or catalog pricing is certainly not necessary for any product. It is a service to the customer, and reflects the manufacturer's attitude towards the customer. Mahindra has based at least some of it's advertising on price, but doesn't want to make it's prices public....... nothing wrong with that at all, it would just be nicer if folks could get a rough idea about how Mahindra's compared to other brands price wise before hitting the dealers. Helps plan the route you know... :) :)

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #12  
I totally understand what you are saying and I'm not trying to saying your or my opinion is right or wrong. Just stating why, in my opinion, I think the MSRP's are useless 99% of the time.

For example say a unit's MSRP is $12,400 yet the dealer is selling it for $10,000. $2,400 is a lot of room off that MSRP........while one dealer in one area might sell this unit for $10,000, another dealer might be selling it for $11,500 and another dealer might be selling it for $11,850. It's all going to depend on the dealers location as to how close or far away their pricing is to the MSRP. This is one reason I feel the MSRP is of very little use because the price depends a lot on your location.

I know for a fact that you can drive 3 hours south of us and buy the same tractor we sell for $1500-2000 more. Why? They have very little to no other Mahindra dealers in their area. They aren't having to compete with other Mahindra dealers, only the Kubota, JD, NH, Massey, etc. dealers.

To sum it up I think MSRP is more important to the window shoppers than the people actually going out and buying a tractor. In my opinion, someone who is wanting to buy a tractor will visit or at the very least call the dealers in their area for pricing and not rely solely on MSRP's. True a MSRP may give you an estimate on how the pricing of different brands compare but it also may NOT give you an accurate comparison at all.

Once again, this is only my opinion.....I am in no way saying the people who do think the MSRP should be posted are in anyway wrong. I don't care if Mahindra posts it or not, like I said noone has ever mentioned it to me in the store or on the phone. I also wish I could give you an explanation why they took it off, I have no clue and they haven't told their dealers why they did this so my guess is just as good as yours.

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #13  
RedRiver said:
I totally understand what you are saying and I'm not trying to saying your or my opinion is right or wrong. Just stating why, in my opinion, I think the MSRP's are useless 99% of the time.

For example say a unit's MSRP is $12,400 yet the dealer is selling it for $10,000. $2,400 is a lot of room off that MSRP........while one dealer in one area might sell this unit for $10,000, another dealer might be selling it for $11,500 and another dealer might be selling it for $11,850. It's all going to depend on the dealers location as to how close or far away their pricing is to the MSRP. This is one reason I feel the MSRP is of very little use because the price depends a lot on your location.

I know for a fact that you can drive 3 hours south of us and buy the same tractor we sell for $1500-2000 more. Why? They have very little to no other Mahindra dealers in their area. They aren't having to compete with other Mahindra dealers, only the Kubota, JD, NH, Massey, etc. dealers.

To sum it up I think MSRP is more important to the window shoppers than the people actually going out and buying a tractor. In my opinion, someone who is wanting to buy a tractor will visit or at the very least call the dealers in their area for pricing and not rely solely on MSRP's. True a MSRP may give you an estimate on how the pricing of different brands compare but it also may NOT give you an accurate comparison at all.

Once again, this is only my opinion.....I am in no way saying the people who do think the MSRP should be posted are in anyway wrong. I don't care if Mahindra posts it or not, like I said noone has ever mentioned it to me in the store or on the phone. I also wish I could give you an explanation why they took it off, I have no clue and they haven't told their dealers why they did this so my guess is just as good as yours.

Mahindra can do as they wish. But they are taking some folks out of the market. Let me ask the dealers on here, "why you are on these boards?" Is it because you have nothing else to do or could it possibly be because you get some advertisement. Some of you guys are known as dealers and I like getting advice from you all.

Some folks today do most of their shopping on ther internet. Just this morning I heard a starling fact. 80% of most large sales begin with an internet hit. If the average consumer who is internet savvy goes to the Mahindra site and see no MSRP do you think some of then will just click by and not look into the tractor? I do. Many internet buyers have no idea what a Mahindra tractor is, just look on here how many post read something like this, " Newbie many question"?

I for one searched on the internet before I bought my 3325. I saw the Mahindra, when comparing horse power to horse power, was more competitive than JD, Kubota, MF or most other brands. I then searched the tractor concerning how it was built, history of company and etc. I finally realized I wanted a Mahindra 3325. If I hadn't seen a competitive MSRP I probably wouldn't of spend that much time on buying a Mahindra.

I use the internet because I want to shop without you knowing I am shopping. Oh I know you can trace my IP address but you can't call me. I can hit the delete button in a nana second. I never fill out anything to give you details about when I am buying or why I am buying. I like to shop in the dark or kind of in the dark or at least in the dark for you.

Just my 2 cents.

Don

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #14  
memphis said:
i was in no way trying to say anything good or bad about whether mahindra has msrp or not. just asking the best ways to shop around.

I called the 2 closest dealers and found them both to be phone friendly. They both quoted prices and answered questions willingly. Even though their prices were a little different, I visited both dealers and asked many questions before making a decision. Just take that first step and call to see what they say. If you don't like them on the phone you probably won't like them as a dealer. If you like them on the phone, then go visit. Most of them are going to be friendly and eager to make a sale. Also, like a previous poster said, be sure you tell them what you'll use the tractor for. This has more to do with which model you get than anything else.

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #15  
I am not sure a smaller dealer like myself has a big affect on Mahindra removing it, but I did mention to them that I was not happy to see the MSRP or LIST price on the Web..

Here is my reasons....
First of all my cost of shipping will differ from dealers closer to Mahindra. Correct? okay so we all agree on this.
Second..
As a Mahindra we do not get the same sizeable discounts off of list like some of the big three tractor companys.
So whats that mean to you as the consumer.
Well if you call and (I am not picking on the other brand dealer just telling you how it works in my area) check prices in my area the other dealers will give you list price and selling price, you do the math and find out they are giving you somewhere around a 10% discount.
Then you call me a my margins are closer to work with and I give you list and selling price, then you do the math and somehow now I'm looking like the bad guy because I'm not giving you anywhere near 10% off even though my tractor is still bottom line cheaper you think I am a crook because the guy up the street is giving you a better discount.

You know what gets me and this may not be related but check this out anyhow...
Furniture.. Watch some of the commercials out there.. BIG SALE GOING ON UNTILL THE END OF THE WEEK!!!! come in now and get up to 75% off!!

OMG and they run a new sale every week, how much do they mark thing up to be able to give 75% off.

I don't know what to think about this subject.. I am a consumer just like everone else out here and I SHOP for someone to take care of me on PRICE and SERVICE..

Here is a very good example of service..
My wife and I are having an addition built we looked around for a builder talked to a couple guys at least the ones that called us back, anyhow we went with a builder that was far from being the cheapest and we are into our forth month of the build and I have never been happier.
This builder shows up EVERYDAY we have meeting once a week so we are all still on the same page.
So I guess it may not relate but I just think when people spend their hard earned money don't just let the numbers be the door opener or closer go touch feel and get to know the person behind the numbers he or she may be worth the physical time.

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #16  
Rick, and Red River..
Thanks for the input from a dealer's perspective. I for one didn't understand that mark ups between brands were so much different. I am also not one of the folks that looks at what precentage discount I am getting from MSRP from a dealer. I am comparing the price I get from a Mahindra dealer for a tractor with the features I want to the price I get on a different color tractor. It's hard to compare apples, and apples, because all brands have their strong points. I thought that the 2015, 2615, and 2415 tractors that I drove were nice tractors to operate, and felt solid. I would like a better level indicator on the 2415 loader.... can fix, and wish both smaller tractors had loader buckets that were as wide as the rear wheels for working next to the banks on trails in my woods. I liked the wide stance. Nice working tractors for sure!

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #17  
Chuckin,
Your wants on a Mahindra are no problem if the dealer is willing to step up to the plate.
I have had several customers that didn't like something and we go above and beyond to make you as the customer satisfied.

So now that you tractor is ready what else can we do for you!:D

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #18  
I see why folks love your dealership! :D :D :D Do you put temp plates on tractors for the long ride home?

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #19  
wallace said:
Chuckin,
Your wants on a Mahindra are no problem if the dealer is willing to step up to the plate.
I have had several customers that didn't like something and we go above and beyond to make you as the customer satisfied.

So now that you tractor is ready what else can we do for you!:D

Exactly Rick. We just sold a 5525 to a vineyard but he needed the width to be no more than 68" at the outside of the rear tires. Hmmm, 72" is the narrowest with the tires set in to almost touch the fender. The we noticed another set of holes in the rear axle allowing the fenders to go in two more inches per side, allowing the tires to go to a narrower setting and we are at 67.75". Yep, we have to modify the floorboards a little and one piece of sheetmetal, but we have a tractor sold. We call it a "narrow" package, and it is at no charge to our customer. Rick does things like this as well. As long as safety and reliability is not compromised in any way, a good dealer will get a little creative to make the tractor right for the customer.

/ since mahindra website doesn't have MSRP... #20  
memphis said:
What should I ask for when calling dealers? I want a 2615 4WD or 2415 4WD
with ag tires. is there any other differences in the models?

thanks

Back to the original question. The 2615 4wd is a standard gear tractor, 3 forward plus reverse in each of three ranges. It is about 60" wide with ags and has a 60" bucket. It lifts about 1050 lbs in the bucket. The 2415G is a shuttle, 8 speeds forward or reverse via two ranges. I really like this transmission. The 2415 and the 2615 use the same engine. They have the same FEL lift capacity, although the 2615 handles a maximum load a little better as it is heavier and longer. The 2415 with ags is 48" wide, with R4 tires it is about 51".

Programs differ by region, in the west we have 0/60 on the 2615G and 0/36 on the 2415G, 0/48 on the 2415H. Again, this varies by region, so shop your local dealer.