Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok?

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #51  
I bought a Honda Pioneer 700-4 with dump bed.
If you have a chance go drive different brands such as Kubota, Kawasaki, Honda, etc.
Operate the dump bed and other controls in each and find what works for you.
I believe the Honda and Kubota are the only belt-less, geared automatic transmission.
I would recommend 4wd and power steering. Buy once, Cry once.
Except the Kubota Sidekick, its CVT (belt drive)

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #52  
Honda UTVs are made in South Carolina here in the USA
They might be but Honda is a Japan company not USA. I don't have an issue with Honda, I own Honda products, I was deciding between the Honda and Pioneer and it was a toss-up so I picked the USA brand.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #53  
They might be but Honda is a Japan company not USA. I don't have an issue with Honda, I own Honda products, I was deciding between the Honda and Pioneer and it was a toss-up so I picked the USA brand.

I think you meant "Honda and Polaris"?

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #55  
I probably run my Kawasaki Teryx in 2wd 90% of the time, but there are situations where you need 4wd, and low range, mostly to compensate for the light weight of the Teryx.

My elderly neighbors make do quite nicely with a golf cart though. They use it mostly for yard cleanup, downed branches, fetching the mail, etc.

Really depends on what your expectations are. Personally, I wouldn’t be without 4wd.

Last edited:
   / Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #56  
My JD gator 850D is great! 4x4 with dump. It sips fuel, tons of power and the 4x4 switch ungages the front wheels, another does one back wheel never tearing up the grass. Gas models go faster I think but 30 is fast enough for my use, I'm old! had a golf cart before and glad I have this Gator instead.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #57  
I originally planned to get a Honda. The belt-less transmission was one reason but I have several other Honda products and always liked the quality and reliability. I changed my mind for two reasons, the engine location (looks much harder to work on) and the heat issue I kept reading about when engine heat makes it way into the cab. I still could have gone either way but the fact that Polaris is USA made was the final decision breaker.
The Honda Pioneer seat heat issue is well know. I have a 2022 Pioneer 1000-5 that does not have that issue. Honda made some changes in 2022 models.

Andy

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #58  
The Honda Pioneer seat heat issue is well know. I have a 2022 Pioneer 1000-5 that does not have that issue. Honda made some changes in 2022 models.

Andy
I think that's over rated. Yeah, the seat gets warm, but not Hot, and unless you have a cab, I dont think it matters much.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #59  
Yes, thanks!
Polaris might be a USA owned company, but they manufacture a lot of them in Chihuahua City, Mexico. I’ve seen the huge modern plant there and the rail line from there to Santa Theresa, NM where they come through the port of entry.

/ Side by Side for yard work 2x4 ok? #60  
Not to change the direction here, but have you thought about a golf cart? I have had Rangers, Gators and Kubotas, I always overlooked golf carts until I bought one to take to horse shows, now it is the main vehicle I use around the ranch. you can add a dump bed, climb hills and tow lighter trailers. they cost less and being electric is actually a plus. My ranch is really hilly and unless it is really muddy I can go just about anywhere on the ranch.
I've had gas powered golf carts for years. They run forever on a tank of gas. Cheaper to buy. Easier to get in and out of. They can tow a 1,200lb trailer. My last one was a four seater and I converted the rear seat to a tool deck. On trails they work great. Avoid soft deep mud and plowed fields.

I miss my golf cart but my 4x4 UTV is faster, more fun going through the fields. Only need 4x4 for deep soppy mud or 12" of snow.