Sickle Bar Sickle mowers

/ Sickle mowers #1  

patrickg

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4610HSTC
Could I get some recommendations from sicklebar mower owner/users regarding their brand and model or especially the JD #9 or the Ford 501(?). I can get a field ready JD or Ford delivered to my shop for a bit under $600, with freight included but have no way of knowing which is better or more maintainable. Least expensive brand X of that size is 1500 or so and name brand like a New Holand is 2 grand. This make a good working unit for less than $600 attractive, if I knew something about them.

Thanks for any help,

Patrick

/ Sickle mowers #2  
I'd post that question at agriculture.com. Click on the talk section on the lefthand side of the page. Then look for the equipment discussion group. I think you'll find more folks who've actually used those specific models.

/ Sickle mowers #3  
The other thing is if you plan on mowing ditches or banks, make sure those models have that capability. I don't think a cutter with a wood Pitman arm can mow anything that varies much from horizontal.

/ Sickle mowers #4  
I use a JD11 to mow ditches, it sure beats going up and down the ditches as they are to steep to go on sideways.

/ Sickle mowers #5  
My father has had a Ford 501 for over 40 years. Great mower... It is starting to get a bit worn out though, so I just found him a newer 501 for $500CDN. It still has most all of the original Ford brand knife guards. If you are looking for a used 501, check to be certain that the main frame has not been broken & welded. Also check for front & aft movement of the main joint between the bar and frame and that each are straight. Most everything else is replaceable for reasonable $.

Good luck!

/ Sickle mowers
Steve (in Ontario), I have been workind too long on the computer today trying to do house plans. My eyes were so tired I read your name as Steve_in_out like the burger shop the first time across it. Gota hit the hay soon.

Anyway, when you know as little as I do about sickle mowers, just about anything I learn is a big percent improvement. Darren mentioned to me the need for the ability to mow with the sickle inclined several degrees. He said this is a limiting factor in using one of the models with a wood pitman arm. So, does the Ford 501 have a wood pitman arm? I sure need it to mow other than level as I need it primarily for banks, around ponds, under things to low for the tractor to pull a brush hog and so forth.

Thanks again for your timely injection of experience.

Patrick

/ Sickle mowers #7  
"does the Ford 501 have a wood pitman arm?" Yes.

My neighbor has a Ford 501. You can't go much below/above 5 degrees from horizontal. If you need more than that, the Ford 515 uses a wobble box, which allows the cutter bar to work at any angle. I've run mine in the "transport" position, which is actually past 90 degrees. I've also run mine at 40 degrees below horizontal, which is the lowest it will get right now. The cutter bar will run below that, but the mechanical system that controls the height of the cutter bar would need some modifications in order to allow the cutter bar to go lower. So far I haven't had a need to go lower, so I left it alone.

Parts for both the Ford 501 and 515 are still available from the New Holland dealer, and manuals are also available for about $10.

/ Sickle mowers #8  
Here's a place to get some interesting reading and there are more pictures like the one I attached.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cedarranch.home.mindspring.com/ford501.html>http://cedarranch.home.mindspring.com/ford501.html</A>

Attachments

• 5-194603-ford501_pic1.jpg
    5-194603-ford501_pic1.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 3,100
   / Sickle mowers
Thanks again for saving me from my ignorance. Once again the TBN prevails over the forces of evil (or at least ignorance). I guess I'll have to find out about the JD #9. If it is also not operable at an angle, I'm back to square one for a mower. Sure don't want to have to buy a new one for the amount of use I'll get and I definitely need to operate at an angle to mow dams and various "features" of my land. I know there are other mowers that mow to the side and operate at an angle that are more modern than a sickle bar but they are big bucks, more than a new sickle bar which is more than I think is reasonable for the time I'll need it.

I saw a cute little 5 1/2 ft sickle bar for about $1500 for smaller tractors and it operates tilted but I should be ablel to get something more like 7 ft or so for half that or less, used in good operating condition and in a brand I can pronounce.

Patrick

/ Sickle mowers #10  
The JD #9 is a pitman type mower. Here are some pictures from post I made on the Yesterday's Tractors web site

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ytmag.com/implment/messages/39786.html>http://www.ytmag.com/implment/messages/39786.html</A>