SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #31  
Old fella around here had a fleet of 8N tractors and sickle mowers to cut hay. Had a big newer tractor for baling. Cut it all with them 8n's.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #32  
I will add that
Old fella around here had a fleet of 8N tractors and sickle mowers to cut hay. Had a big newer tractor for baling. Cut it all with them 8n's.
he knew how to get it done!

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #34  
Sickle mowers are made for hay, and pretty much not much else. They're kind of like a disc mower in the sense that you generally don't want to use them outside their intended use as they're not really great tools for handling abuse. Yes they'll knock down some small saplings in your hayfield, but they are not really a repair job you want to get stuck with, and abusing one will quickly result in getting stuck with that repair job. As for a flail mower I grew up using one, but it's probably been 30 years since I have used one. Personally I prefer a bush hog for saplings, but I often will just use our drum mower especially if the blades are dull, and in need of changing anyway to knock down an old field with small saplings starting to sprout up. A drum mower might look like a disc mower, but they are much simpler, and handle abuse much better than a disc mower. Plus a drum mower is a relatively cheap mower, especially for one that works so well for mowing hay.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #35  
Multi-Floral Rose Bushes are the nemesis here. 40 years ago the Missouri Conservation Department would give you seedlings to plant. They promoted them as wildlife preservers. Horribly invasive and will completely take over a field. Sometimes our Government has good intentions that actually aren't. Well maybe a bit more than "sometimes"......
I must have been more than 40 years ago. I worked at an ag store then and we sold some very expensive granules to spread around the base of the plant. I do not recall the name as that wasn't my area of concern (too young). It was the bane of all farmers then and continues to be a PITA today. I had to cut and treat a couple nasty examples this weekend. It seems it's never ending.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #36  
Multi-Floral Rose Bushes are the nemesis here. 40 years ago the Missouri Conservation Department would give you seedlings to plant. They promoted them as wildlife preservers. Horribly invasive and will completely take over a field. Sometimes our Government has good intentions that actually aren't. Well maybe a bit more than "sometimes"......
The local Farm Service Agency recommended Crown Vetch to me in 1998. The county road crew had dug the road ditch out for better drainage for about 400' and I wanted some ground cover because it was to steep to mow.

They recommended a company and gave me references to buy the seed. $85 for half a pound. Fortunately I was working well over 60 hours a week back then and didn't have time to plant them.

Edit, changed Multi-Floral Rose to Crown Vetch.

Last edited:
   / SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #37  
The local Farm Service Agency recommended Multi-Floral Rose to me in 1998. The county road crew had dug the road ditch out for better drainage for about 400' and I wanted some ground cover because it was to steep to mow.

They recommended a company and gave me references to buy the seed. $85 for half a pound. Fortunately I was working well over 60 hours a week back then and didn't have time to plant them.
Good old "county road crew". They "improved drainage" along my road that I had been able to mow on my lawn tractor. Now I have to weedeat the whole 1100 feet because the bottom two feet of the bank is now too steep for the mower to even safely mow the upper part. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
   / SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #38  
I must have been more than 40 years ago. I worked at an ag store then and we sold some very expensive granules to spread around the base of the plant. I do not recall the name as that wasn't my area of concern (too young). It was the bane of all farmers then and continues to be a PITA today. I had to cut and treat a couple nasty examples this weekend. It seems it's never ending.
I've used road salt to kill unwanted brushy stuff. One year I just happened to have a few bags that got hard (wet) and I had some kind of junky willows growing along a creek, cutting them seemed to encourage new growth and I didn't feel good about chemicals on the creek bank. A good layer of rock salt around the ground did the trick.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #39  
The local Farm Service Agency recommended Multi-Floral Rose to me in 1998. The county road crew had dug the road ditch out for better drainage for about 400' and I wanted some ground cover because it was to steep to mow.

I am surprised that they were recommending that garbage in 98, we had been fighting it for years by that time. It had started taking over pastures and hedgerows in the 60's in my area.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #40  
I am surprised that they were recommending that garbage in 98, we had been fighting it for years by that time. It had started taking over pastures and hedgerows in the 60's in my area.
yes, they had pretty much switched to crown vetch as the preferred ground cover by then.