SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #11  
yea I saw that sickle mower. I am leaning to the flail to eat up the roses. Will I need an enclosed cab for safety? Brush hog mentioned it. I have dug up rose bushes for years with a back hoe and they grow back in no time. Is there a brand of flail mower that is not made in China? Or at least has spare parts. If I wanted to build a survival bunker I would plant wild rose hedges for cover. No one could get through that quickly and not be cut up.
Ahh, yes, thorny rosebushes.... My father planted a whole row of them on a front section of my lawn to deter deer. Well, they didn't deter anything but me getting near them to mow/weed wack near them. Guaranteed I'd look like I got a hold of a mad scratching cat using me as a scratching post. I liked the roses that would bloom and the smell, but that was about it.

After he passed, that following summer, I went out and yanked them all of them out with my truck one afternoon. Then I got some top soil with my tractor and filled in the holes. I then brought them rose bushes to the back burn bit, and burned every single one of them!

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #12  
Multi-Floral Rose Bushes are the nemesis here. 40 years ago the Missouri Conservation Department would give you seedlings to plant. They promoted them as wildlife preservers. Horribly invasive and will completely take over a field. Sometimes our Government has good intentions that actually aren't. Well maybe a bit more than "sometimes"......

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #13  
Multi-Floral Rose Bushes are the nemesis here. 40 years ago the Missouri Conservation Department would give you seedlings to plant. They promoted them as wildlife preservers. Horribly invasive and will completely take over a field. Sometimes our Government has good intentions that actually aren't. Well maybe a bit more than "sometimes"......
Isn't that how we got so many Honeysuckle? :unsure:

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #15  
Is there a brand of flail mower that is not made in China? Or at least has spare parts.

There sure is! Take a look at a Rears SPF mower.
Made in Eugene Oregon.
Once you see one of these in person, all other brands look like flimsy pieces of junk.
I bought the 6 foot SPF with the heavy duty, 2 position mast.
Love it!!

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #17  
Is there a brand of flail mower that is not made in China?
Yeaaa, NH451, not only made in USA it has no problem cutting green saplings up to an inch IF you go slow.

451.JPG

I do it with mine all the time.

SR

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #18  
A rotary boom mower would be ideal, and there are some that are 3 point mount so they are easy to remove. I don't know if a Kubota L3800 would be heavy enough to handle one. A sickle will cut some twiggy stuff but it is really made for cutting hay. Same with a disc mower, although if you break a disc mower it is way more expensive than fixing a broken sickle section.

Isn't that how we got so many Honeysuckle? :unsure:

Ah yes, bush honeysuckle and multiflora rose. Fortunately there is not bush honeysuckle where I am right now but there was a bunch of it at the last two places I lived, it pretty much choked out everything else growing along the edges of fields and yards. I do have some multiflora rose in the fencelines where I am now but cutting the fields a couple times per year keeps it out of the fields, it is pretty similar to blackberries in that it can grow into a field but cutting it back a few times kills it and cutting a couple times per year keeps it out of the fields. It's not like those %&^*$ locust trees that really only die if you spray them. Fortunately the same triclopyr + 2,4-D ester that kills locust trees is also highly effective on multiflora rose.

Both the bush honeysuckle and multiflora rose were advocated by the government to be great things to plant back in the day. The worst part is that bush honeysuckle was not just something that private individuals/companies brought from Asia to the U.S. and the government merely recommended its use before they found out it was invasive. No, the federal government was the central figure in the plant being brought to the U.S. and they were the entity propagating and distributing it to both botanical gardens and to private individuals through the Soil Conservation Service.

/ SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #19  
Met too many old farmers that had less then the number of fingers they were born with, to ever advocate a sickle bar.

Scotch Broom was introduced to stabilize steep ground on highway constructions. That didn't work out so well either.
:)

Last edited:
   / SICKLE MOWER VS FLAIL #20  
Met too many old farmers that had less then the number of fingers they were born with, to ever advocate a sickle bar.
Too many farmers and KIDS too were killed by PTO shafts too, but I'm NOT giving up those either!!

How many people are killed EVERY year by cars and trucks??

SR