Sickle Bar Sickle Bar Mowing Height

/ Sickle Bar Mowing Height #1  

Boerherder

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615
I would like to mow hay at a height of 4 inches. Is there a sickle mower sold that allows height adjustment rather than just sliding on the ground and cutting the hay really short?

Boerherder

/ Sickle Bar Mowing Height #2  
Just raise the 3 PH to the height you want and that should work. A set of chains similar to what some folks use for bush hogging would work to keep it at the same height if hydraulic controls drift up or down a bit. Just pin them to the lift pins and up to where the top link attaches and adjust as needed. TSC sells them for just this purpose

/ Sickle Bar Mowing Height #3  
There should also be an adjustment using a chain or other mechanism to raise the sickle bar when lifting the 3 PH. This would need adjusting to hold up the bar at level when the lift is dropped also.

/ Sickle Bar Mowing Height #4  
You cn raise the skids on each end of the bar to adjust some. I've heard of a wheel on the far end to keep the bar up higher too, tho that is rare.
Lifting the 3pt might help on the tractor side, but the far end would be too floppsy to really work without some skid or wheel on that end.

Most of the skids have several holes to adjust some, but 4 inches would be the limit for normal mowers, if that much.

--->Paul

/ Sickle Bar Mowing Height #5  
My JD 350's have adjusteable skids like Paul said. I have not paid close attention, but I think you could adjust the skids enough to mow at 4" above the true ground level; I doubt you could go much higher. I don't know a reason why you could not modify the skids to add an inch or two of lift if needed.

On my 350's the built in lifting mechanism Gary Fowler talked about raises the outer end of the blade about a foot or two, but it does not raise the inner end of the blade. And the 9 foot blade is flexible enough and there is enough "give" in the lift mechanism that the outer end flops up and down a foot or so when raised, so you would not get uniform cutting.

/ Sickle Bar Mowing Height
Thanks to all who replied. Raising the three point hitch alone does not work since the outer end is raised higher and flops as some said. I like the idea of a wheel on the outer end and adjusting or modifying the skid.