Sickle bar mower.

/ Sickle bar mower. #1  

Southernspeed

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Furgeson 2850M
I'd appreciate any wisdom and personal experience you've had with Tonutti and Maschio sickle bar mowers. They are both reasonably priced but is one better than the other?
We are going to try to raise our own hay this year but don't want to drop 50-60k into equipment for a 'trial' and such a small (15 acres to start) operation. We have some used equipment lined up but struggling to find a suitable cutter. My tractor is only 49hp (Massey 2850) so will be stretching it a bit with most disc cutters (kind of expensive too) or haybines. I figured that sickle bars were used for decades so will be ok to introduce us to haying.

Any feedback or suggestions welcome, thank you!

/ Sickle bar mower. #2  
Do you live in an area that you can just sickle mow hay and it will cure out without crushing the stems?

Sickle mower doesn't take much hp to run one, but I've run a 9' haybine with my 45 pto hp tractor and it runs it just fine.

SR

/ Sickle bar mower.
Do you live in an area that you can just sickle mow hay and it will cure out without crushing the stems?

Sickle mower doesn't take much hp to run one, but I've run a 9' haybine with my 45 pto hp tractor and it runs it just fine.

SR
I’m central eastern Virginia. So we get plenty of sun but usually with humidity. I was planning on extra tedding if using the sickle bar.
I have an hst tractor so my pto hp is down a bit on yours. I’ll look at haybines some more as I had dismissed them due to hp requirements. Thanks.

/ Sickle bar mower. #4  
I have a 10 foot JD MoCo with crimp rolls I'll sell you cheap. Don't use it anymore. Just sits. Has an SCH cutter bar and a spare unused bar too. Don't take much power to run it either.

/ Sickle bar mower.
I have a 10 foot JD MoCo with crimp rolls I'll sell you cheap. Don't use it anymore. Just sits. Has an SCH cutter bar and a spare unused bar too. Don't take much power to run it either.
Thanks for the offer but you're a fair drive from me! Plus, I need to research this more as the company that sold me the tractor had hay equipment there for sale but he told me a pull along mower will really tax my tractor, and I don't want to be burning up a new tractor!

/ Sickle bar mower. #7  
Both Tonutti and Maschio sickle bar mowers are popular and reasonably priced options for small to medium-scale hay operations. The specific models you mentioned, the Tonutti GT500 and Maschio Bisonte, are both well-regarded and similarly priced, but there may be differences in features that make one more suitable for your needs. It's best to compare specifications and reviews before making a decision. Sickle bar mowers are known for their ability to handle tough cutting conditions and their relatively low cost, making them a good choice for introducing you to haying.

Last edited:
   / Sickle bar mower. #8  
I run smaller sized tractors for haying and started off with a sickle and hated it. A lot of maintenance and it was very finicky. Too fast or too slow and it would clog.

I now use a drum mower and absolutely love it. I can cut at 8 mph with my 32 hp JD and have never had the mower or tractor bog down regardless of heavy the crop was. It cuts short and you will have to ted because it doesn't crimp and leaves windrows but it is low maintenance cuts good. Watch some youtube vids on them. They are pretty impressive for a smaller sized hay mower.