Sickle bar mower

/ Sickle bar mower #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I have a need for one and have never used one. I am a little worried that if I buy a used one, I'm asking for trouble, however I don't want to pony up for a new one. Are they pretty straight forward to repair and maintain?

/ Sickle bar mower #2  
I have a need for one and have never used one. I am a little worried that if I buy a used one, I'm asking for trouble, however I don't want to pony up for a new one. Are they pretty straight forward to repair and maintain?

How handy are you? Can you take carbs apart? Ever fix a hedge trimmer? Ever build any engines? Ever rebuild a cylinder head?

/ Sickle bar mower #3  
I gave up on buying one a few years ago. New was too expensive, used were too beat and did not look reliable (and still expensive). For the minimal use I'd get out of it I had a hard time justifying the hassle of purchasing. Would still love to have one for ditch mowing though!

If I remember right, there are some older Ford or New Holland ones that still have good parts availability. All the new ones tend to be foreign (European) brands.

/ Sickle bar mower
How handy are you? Can you take carbs apart? Ever fix a hedge trimmer? Ever build any engines? Ever rebuild a cylinder head?

I'm not a certified master mechanic, but I did spend a night in a Holiday Inn.

/ Sickle bar mower #5  
Dad always bought used ones. Not too bad to work on.

/ Sickle bar mower #6  
Old IH, NH and Ford sickle mowers can be found at reasonable prices if you are willing to do some work. I just sharpened our 60 year old IH mower and used it to trim around the edges of hayfields and under a long stretch of fencing. The older single action sickle mowers were tough machines and while they are much slower than the new style double action mowers, they are sufficiently heavy to cut banks and small brush and briars. They are not hard to maintain, but it can take time to sharpen them and replace guards and mower sections. However if I had a lot of hay to cut I would get a different style machine. W. Jones

/ Sickle bar mower #7  
What 52 said. Sickles are still available at farm auctions at reasonable prices. You can still get parts for most of the name brand implements. If I was going to buy one today for sure get one that has belt drive instead of the old style Pitman units.
Rick

/ Sickle bar mower #8  
What 52 said. Sickles are still available at farm auctions at reasonable prices. You can still get parts for most of the name brand implements. If I was going to buy one today for sure get one that has belt drive instead of the old style Pitman units.
Rick

If you want to use it for mowing banks, anything other than flat, then must get a belt drive. Most all the used ones I have taken note of lately are going for around $450.

/ Sickle bar mower #9  
You want a New Holland 451, but you don't know that yet... lol

It will cut in any position, including the position you see it in here,

standard.jpg

and it's reliable!

SR

/ Sickle bar mower #10  
Thats what dad currenly has, 451