Sickle bar mower question...

/ Sickle bar mower question... #1  

Smitty141

Tractor
2019 LS xg3140
Looking to buy a used 7 sickle bar. First, are there any brands or models to stay away from? I don’t want buy something and have a impossible time getting a replacement part or pay stupid money for a replacement. I have a buddy that tells me to spend a little more and get a New Holland 451. Around here you can spend $1000-1500. for one of those. I see a bunch of Ford 501’s in the $400-600 range.

Any other brands/models to look for? This will only be used a few times a year.

Thanks everyone..

Smitty

/ Sickle bar mower question... #2  
What are you wanting to use the cutter for? A 501 has a pitman arm drive and can only be used in a horizontal position, if your looking at a cutter for trimming along roads or ditch banks you need to look at belt driven balance head cutters, such as a NH 451.

/ Sickle bar mower question... #3  
just sold a like new one to my neighbor for just the exact thing, mowing road ditches etc.....dad has had it in our shop for years, picked it up at a farm sale, some kind of belt drive ford with 3 point - i grew up on a deere #5 mower and it was a clattering old thing with a wooden pitman, you could listen to the chatter and when you were going to fast or it was getting tough/thick, it would talk even louder - that is how dad taught me to regulate it on our B deere.

Dad was going to rig up the balanced head ford and i said heck dad i think its broken the sickle laid over across the mower at about a 45 degree angle i thot it was busted first time i saw it.

we sold it for 250 bucks to our neighbor not sure how much they go for these days but seems most dont want them anymore -too many other options that are much faster and do a better job from what i have heard

/ Sickle bar mower question... #4  
Your buddy is EXACTLY right!! Listen to him!

SR

/ Sickle bar mower question... #5  
I have an IH 1300 9 ft sickle mower, Solid 3pt unit. Parts are still being made (all of them) by Quality, dependable, American-made equipment. - Rowse Rakes. They are using the IH design in their units. They also can rebuild the heads. Good folks to work with. I also got the hydraulic lift kit from them.

Now if your just mowing 3 feet of road shoulder or ditch bank consider a swing arm flail mower. Sickle mower can work like a dream or be your worst nightmare. I switch to a drum mower for the hay cutting