Sickle Bar Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up

/ Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up #1  

davey4000

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4320, NH TC29D
I just purchased an Enorossi BF210H sickle bar mower. I hooked up the hydraulic line and nothing happens. My hook up is as follows: I removed the two quick connects from my rear remote that operates my grapple. I connected the sickle bar quick connect to one of the rear remote ports and left the other one unconnected. When operating the valve the cylinder dooesn't move. The sound from the tractor is the same as if it were under full load.

I don't believe fluid is getting to the cylinder, but don't know how to tell. I've tried both remote connections and no luck with either.

Does anyone have this same sickle bar mower who can give me some pointers?

/ Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up
Here's some additional info. In the attached photo are the check valves installed correctly (they came that way)? It appears the check valves may be adjustable. If so, which way would you turn them?

Attachments

• image-1111336923.jpg
    image-1111336923.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 364
   / Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up #3  
Sounds like you're dead-heading the valve. Isn't that a single acting cylinder on the mower? You can't use a standard double acting valve like that. There's no way to release the pressure. You need a separate valve or a way to dump the pressure on the release side. The release side would allow the cylinder fluid to go to the return hose. Your release side of your valve isn't connected so when you open the valve to release the cylinder pressure, it's getting dead-headed by its own pressure circuit.

Added:
Does the remote circuit you're using have a "float" position? If it does, you can use that to release the cylinder pressure. Don't use the other side of the valve at all, it's not connected.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The mower is double action and yes the valve has a float position. The cylinder is single action and if I understand correctly the hydraulics bring the bar up and gravity brings it down.

/ Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up #5  
Gravity alone probably won't do it. There should be a large spring to help force the fluid in the cylinder out when the valve is put in float mode. Sometimes the spring is incorporated in the cylinder. Web photos of your model show a spring. The non-pressurized side of the cylinder should be vented in some fashion.

Yes, it does have the large spring. I'm beginning to think that I don't have the right kind of valve. The way it works for my grapple is that the middle position does nothing and to open the grapple you push it one way and then push it the other way to close it.

/ Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up #7  
Your remote will work fine. I have an IH 1300 with a single acting cylinder that is only plugged in to one of the remote sets (A-B). If I have it plugged into A and I move the remote to the B position the system bleeds back lowering the bar.

I am confused by the two restriction/check valves. It appear one is oriented the wrong way per the picture. Remove them an try and then just replace one, restricting flow out to the implement. Does your owners manual say anything?

/ Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up #8  
Just want to add to the conversation, I have a backhoe on my L3560 and that uses a circulation connection, one line out to the backhoe and one from the backhoe to the tractor, maybe that is how that mower works.

/ Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up #9  
Your remote will work fine. I have an IH 1300 with a single acting cylinder that is only plugged in to one of the remote sets (A-B). If I have it plugged into A and I move the remote to the B position the system bleeds back lowering the bar.

I am confused by the two restriction/check valves. It appear one is oriented the wrong way per the picture. Remove them an try and then just replace one, restricting flow out to the implement. Does your owners manual say anything?

If you want to try and adjust these, back the locking nut off and turn the valve towards the minus (-) sign, then re tighten the locking nut. It appears one restricts the up direction and the other the down. Is there an arrow indicating flow direction? if so the down unit would have the arrow pointed towards the tractor, restricting back flow.

Hope this helps

/ Sickle Bar Hydraulic Hook Up #10  
Your remote will work fine. I have an IH 1300 with a single acting cylinder that is only plugged in to one of the remote sets (A-B). If I have it plugged into A and I move the remote to the B position the system bleeds back lowering the bar. I am confused by the two restriction/check valves. It appear one is oriented the wrong way per the picture. Remove them an try and then just replace one, restricting flow out to the implement. Does your owners manual say anything? If you want to try and adjust these, back the locking nut off and turn the valve towards the minus (-) sign, then re tighten the locking nut. It appears one restricts the up direction and the other the down. Is there an arrow indicating flow direction? if so the down unit would have the arrow pointed towards the tractor, restricting back flow. Hope this helps
pretty much what I was going to say! The check valves are actually flow regulators , one for raise speed, and the other for lowering speed. I'm just guessing but I'd say one or both are adjusted completely off and not allowing fluid to flow through. Also sense your valve has float , when putting the lever in the float position , it should allow the bar to lower in the float position with out dead heading the fluid, like it would if holding the valve in one of the flow positions. When you said something about having a spring, if your referring to the large spring that runs along near the cylinder, that is the "Balance" spring, it holds a large percentage too the cutter heads weight to allow the head to float along the ground. Here is a online PDF manual that should explain a lot about your cutter.

http://www.farm-king.com/manuals/ht-SMower/SickleBarMower-2012.pdf