Should I upgrade?

/ Should I upgrade? #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I finally got to use my new L3301 w/bushhog and grapple.

I felt like it was underpowered when I needed to push over 3" trees. The bush-hog worked fine and I liked the small frame to get in and out of trees.

I'm wondering if I should look into to upgrading to the L4701? I would get a bit more weight (+600 lbs) and obviously more PTO hp.

I don't know if its possible given that I just signed a 5 yr 0% note on the L3301.

/ Should I upgrade? #2  

I felt like it was underpowered when I needed to push over 3" trees. The bush-hog worked fine and I liked the small frame to get in and out of trees.

I'm wondering if I should look into to upgrading to the L4701? I would get a bit more weight (+600 lbs) and obviously more PTO hp.

I don't know if its possible given that I just signed a 5 yr 0% note on the L3301.

That will depend entirely on your dealer being willing to work with you. The L4701 does not share the same frame as the L3301. It is larger in every dimension. If you feel the L3301 is light, then I suggest either an MX or a Grand L. If you feel it's underpowered, then I suggest a L3901.

/ Should I upgrade? #3  
We had a L3800 HST and liked it a lot. We went up to a MX5800 HST to get more capacity, primarily with the FEL. With the L3800 we had no problem dealing with 3" trees, mowing with a 5' brushhog, 66" box blade, etc. Still, we are glad we have the MX5800. One significant (to us) difference is that we had R4 tires on the L3800, and as a result the rear wheels were fixed width--i.e., could not be adjusted for a wider stance. We put 4" spacers on each rear wheel and that greatly increased the stability. The rear wheels on the MX are adjustable. That and the fact that the MX is a larger, heavier tractor makes it not only more powerful but also more stable. I agree with the many posters in many TBN threads who have suggested resolving doubts in favor of getting a bigger tractor if you can afford it.

/ Should I upgrade? #4  
So you want to TRADE UP for a new Tractor? - TMT - YouTube

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

I felt like it was underpowered when I needed to push over 3" trees.

More engine power will do nothing for you. In this application, tractor weight is everything.

My Kubota L3560, slightly physically larger than your L3301 but weighing 3,700 pounds bare tractor, is barely heavy enough to push over 3" hardwood trees. Kubota MX series is also around 3,700 pounds bare tractor but physically larger.

If you convert to an L3560 you can probably continue to use your existing implements. If you convert to an MX series you will need to consider buying an increment wider implements.

A Ratchet Rake bucket attachment grips trees where an unadorned bucket tends to slip.

A Bucket Spade bucket attachment is also useful.

Neither will meet your needs on an L3301. You need additional tractor weight.

In my opinion the L4701 is rather an orphan and future resale is likely to disappoint. Better to consider a mainstream MX, which are priced very close to L4701.

Attachments

• DSC00451.JPG
    DSC00451.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 230
  • fullsizeoutput_19d.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_19d.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 238
  • fullsizeoutput_19c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_19c.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 250
  • fullsizeoutput_19b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_19b.jpeg
    5.9 MB · Views: 211
  • fullsizeoutput_198.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_198.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 219
Last edited by a moderator:
   / Should I upgrade? #5  
I took out 3 non producing fruit trees last November with my 33 hp LS. It wouldn’t have much luck pulling them out by just using the bucket and fel.
I used the clamp on spade, similar to Jeff’s, to loosen up the root system first, then pulled them out nearly in tact with a chain. Barely needed to get off the tractor.

If you have the wherewithal to get a bigger tractor, that is one way to go, but finding workarounds is a lot cheaper, and at the same time, it was kinda fun to do.

/ Should I upgrade?
The MX sounds like the tractor I would need if I do upgrade.

I was considering the ratchet rake for the front bucket and might just go that route. The advantage of the L3301 is that it is small and the lower tractor weight means I'm less likely to get stuck in low areas that haven't dried out completely.

/ Should I upgrade? #7  
The MX sounds like the tractor I would need if I do upgrade.

I was considering the ratchet rake for the front bucket and might just go that route. The advantage of the L3301 is that it is small and the lower tractor weight means I'm less likely to get stuck in low areas that haven't dried out completely.

Not necessarily. You need to compare the ground pressure of the various tractors. Just because something is heavy doesn't mean it is more or less likely to get stuck in grabby mud. Larger tractor=larger tires. I don't know the exact comparison between the L3301 and an MX, but I bet it's not that far off.

/ Should I upgrade? #8  
Not necessarily. You need to compare the ground pressure of the various tractors. Just because something is heavy doesn't mean it is more or less likely to get stuck in grabby mud. Larger tractor=larger tires. I don't know the exact comparison between the L3301 and an MX, but I bet it's not that far off.

^^^^^ X 2 ^^^^^​

/ Should I upgrade? #9  

You're going to get burned if you do.

SDT

/ Should I upgrade? #10  
VIDEO: So you want to TRADE UP for a new Tractor? - TMT - YouTube

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

More engine power will do nothing for you. In this application, tractor weight is everything.

My Kubota L3560, slightly physically larger than your L3301 but weighing 3,700 pounds bare tractor, is barely heavy enough to push over 3" hardwood trees. Kubota MX series is also around 3,700 pounds bare tractor but physically larger.

If you convert to an L3560 you can probably continue to use your existing implements. If you convert to an MX series you will need to consider buying an increment wider implements.

A Ratchet Rake bucket attachment grips trees where an unadorned bucket tends to slip.

A Bucket Spade bucket attachment is also useful.

Neither will meet your needs on an L3301. You need additional tractor weight.

In my opinion the L4701 is rather an orphan and future resale is likely to disappoint. Better to consider an MX, which are priced very close to L4701.

I agree. We carefully priced out the L4701 and the MX series. We opted for the MX because the cost of the upgrade was a relatively small percentage of what we would have spent for the L4701. Still, it is extra cost, so once again we TBNers are spending your money--although for what we think is good for you.