Should i pursue this Excavator.

/ Should i pursue this Excavator. #11  
Contratulations.

When you get it home, be sure to post some pictues!!!!!!!

Eddie

/ Should i pursue this Excavator.
Here is a few Photo's. The grading bucket and wrist have been removed by the previous owner.

This is the engineering sketch of my Thumb.

Attachments

• 1997 Komatsu PC75UU-2E_@Hazeltons#8s.pdf
    43.3 KB · Views: 876
  • Komatsu_PC75UU-2E_#10_Boom_Dipper_4_14_04.pdf
    104.8 KB · Views: 568
  • Komatsu_PC75UU-2E_#7_Cab_4_14_04.pdf
    150.3 KB · Views: 521
  • HT42x14_Check_print.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 449
   / Should i pursue this Excavator. #13  
I didn't realize they made them with hinges on the boom, looks interesting!!

Good Luck!

deereguy said:
I didn't realize they made them with hinges on the boom, looks interesting!!

Good Luck!

Komatsu's replacement for the PC75UU-2E is the PC78MR.

The PC78MR has all the computer load sensing do dads, a cab made for a big Beef eating American, low range on the track drive, and a boom swivel at base similar to Kubota's KX-80-3.

The offset hinge boom is a wear point. The 3 worst spots on my PC75UU-2E are the hinges and the lower cylinder pin at base of boom. This machine saw a lot of grease. If it had not it would be junk, as new pins and bushing would go about $12,000 to make it tight.

The other thing to watch out for on the PC75's are the limit switches on the hydraulics. If the are activated and malfuction they frezze the hydraulics. $$$$$! I was told to never activate them.

I figure I can put 1,000 hours on this machine and it will still be in the same shape if I keep it greased. By same shape, I mean kind of worn but still quite useable, especially as it will not be seeing 8-10 hour days, 6 days a week.

If anyone wats to swap for a low hour Cat 307/308 or a Kubota KX-80-3, I'm willing. (yeah, right!)

PS My hired excavator guy digging out the blast area for the house and barn foundation and building the roadbed through the swamp has moved about 50 dump truck loads of material to the tune of a $5,000 bill. He is about 75% finished the rough work. Once he finishes the last 25% of the rough road bed, I will finish fill and grade the road and lay rock along the edges with the Komatsu and Kubota L39 with processed hauled in crushed stone and gravel. I will also use road fabric under the finish course of 1-1/2 stone packed in with stone dust and bank run.

Our town should have such nice gravel roads! The use crap for materials and spend a fortune in labor rebuilding. Civil project job security. I guess when I retire I should get a job with the town.

I will dig the foundation footings and do septic myself.
I will hire out the pond digging and hauling out 7 acres of stumps.

I may build the dam and spill way myself.
Estimate I would have $40K in site work, not counting $12K in blasting and $12K for permits and plans. Imagine $12K for pieces of paper!.

So if I cut my site work to $20K hire out and materials, then this pays for 70% of the excavator and get to keep the toy for future landscaping & hire out side jobs. I like doing this kind of stuff, and I get to do it my way.

A good plan if the machine does not break down! A bad move if I have to do much fixing.

Attachments

• Komatsu_PC75UU-2E_#2_Swing_Boom_4_14_04.JPG
    Komatsu_PC75UU-2E_#2_Swing_Boom_4_14_04.JPG
    750.8 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
   / Should i pursue this Excavator. #15  
mike69440 said:
Here is a few Photo's. The grading bucket and wrist have been removed by the previous owner.

This is the engineering sketch of my Thumb.

I didn't realize you were so close till I saw Hazelton's on the picture name. Is that where you got it? I live about 7 miles from there. Can I borrow it? :) Just kidding. That swing boom must be an interesting drive.

pekabu said:
I didn't realize you were so close till I saw Hazelton's on the picture name. Is that where you got it? I live about 7 miles from there. Can I borrow it? :) Just kidding. That swing boom must be an interesting drive.

Maybe,

If you can transport it, but only after I get to do more than knockdown a snow pile in Hazelton's parking lot.

I wonder what the it will cost me to get it from Montpelier to Central NH.

My thumb has finally shipped. Hope they can install it next week.

I'm chomping at the bit to do some footing work on this monster 64' x 36' home with attached 42 ' x 32' barn!

Plus dozens of other projects I can do with this Komatsu.

Attachments

• LeftFrontView_Crop.pdf
    60.6 KB · Views: 440
   / Should i pursue this Excavator. #18  
I think you are talking with the same guy I was up in vermont, about 1/2 hour past montpilier. He takes the 75UU off of the boat (blue) paints them and goes through them, then resells them. I was up at Stowe on vacation and drove over to talk with him (about three years back now) when I was looking for a machine. I am glad that you are spending the extra money on the thumb. I will be good for resale as well as your sanity.

Puck

Well after a lot of fiddling around the thumb and other stuff are finally being installed.

I am a bit bummed that I did not receive a 4 tooth bucket, but the price was sure right.

During waiting for parts I had added a jib boom base plate to the dipper arm and a receiver hitch with pull hooks to the dozer blade.

The jib boom will extend about 16 feet past the bucket pivot and I am designing for a lift capacity of +400 Lbs and a +3 0' hook height. I figure this will be a cheap man's crane for lifting roofing trusses, a square of shingles, sheathing etc. up to the roof of our yet to be started future home.

The receiver hitch is a great way to move a dump trailer or my 27' camper around the farm.

Attachments

• 06-08-07_Thumb_Install#2P.jpg
    06-08-07_Thumb_Install#2P.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 502
  • 06-08-07 001P.jpg
    06-08-07 001P.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 384
  • 06-08-07 003P.jpg
    06-08-07 003P.jpg
    904.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 06-08-07 004P.jpg
    06-08-07 004P.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 06-08-07 005P.jpg
    06-08-07 005P.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 322
  • 06-08-07_Thumb_Install#6P.jpg
    06-08-07_Thumb_Install#6P.jpg
    878.7 KB · Views: 393
  • 06-08-07_Reciever_Install2_P.jpg
    06-08-07_Reciever_Install2_P.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 368
  • 06-08-07_Reciever_Install_P.jpg
    06-08-07_Reciever_Install_P.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 344
   / Should i pursue this Excavator. #20  
That should be able to handle some of those rocks I've seen in some of your pics. Nice machine.