Should i pursue this Excavator.

/ Should i pursue this Excavator. #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
I like my L-39 TLB too much to destroy it doing the heavy work that needs to be done on our 17 Acres, so I have just high bid on an excavator on E-Bay. I did this carefully, as I did not meet the reserve, know what the seller will actually sell the machine for, and have spoken to the seller regarding the machine. I will bring my excavator guy down to check out the machine and possibly haggle a deal, then haul it back if fate deems it to be so. Even with an 8 ton excavator, I will need to hire out things like a 6 wheel drive rock truck and a CAT 330.
Item Specifics - Excavators
Make: Caterpillar Max Dig Depth: 12'1'' - 13'
Model: MSO90 Operating Weight: 7,001 - 8,000 KG.
Model Year: 1984 Net Horsepower (HP): 51 - 60
Hours: 3288 Serial Number

So if this grey market MSO90 machine is a good machine, and what is it worth? Can anyone give me any info on this Grey market machine? See Attached .pdf

Attachments

• ViewItem&Excavator.pdf
    322.6 KB · Views: 1,933
Last edited:
   / Should i pursue this Excavator. #2  
I believe that was a Mitsubishi and Cat project. I would hope that you are not spending over 12k for that machine. If you are I would look at the used hitachi ex60 series or an old komatsu PC75. If you have a mechanic friend, I would also consider buying what he is comfortable fixing :).

Puck

/ Should i pursue this Excavator.
hockeypuck said:
I believe that was a Mitsubishi and Cat project. I would hope that you are not spending over 12k for that machine. If you are I would look at the used hitachi ex60 series or an old komatsu PC75. If you have a mechanic friend, I would also consider buying what he is comfortable fixing :).

Puck
Thanks,

The Hitachi EX60 series or an old Komatsu PC75. excavators you mention are all around $20K rom what I can find.

The local machinery traders and heavy equipment shops want even more!

Is it New England or am I being treated like a rube?

Good advice on Hitachi EX60 series or an old Komatsu PC75!

Komatsu PC75 looks like a nice machine. Seems versatile. Can anyone tell me more about them?

Hitachi EX60 series looks smaller and lighter than PC75? Is this true?

Any other recommendations on what I could pick up for less than 20 k? I want steel tracks and blade.

/ Should i pursue this Excavator. #5  
It's pretty hard to find something good in that price range, but there are some decent older things out there. That machine (if in good shape) is decent, but the price still seems a little high. Check to make sure you can still get parts and dealer support, if not pass on it. Also any older machine with a blade is likely to have more bottom and final drive problems.
Good luck searching, Jon

/ Should i pursue this Excavator. #6  
It is hard to do, but you have to be patient. I looked for over a year before I found my used machine. I have had it for over two years now, and nothing but routine maintenance. Buying the wrong machine can get expensive real quick. It could turn a 14000 dollar machine into a 24000 dollar machine real quick. So having it checked out by someone who fixes them is very prudent.

puck

I believe I blew my chance on a relly nice machine as I was too cheap.

Tough lesson to learn.

I am talking not buying the Mistu. I came across another machine and did not act untill too late. Need to start looking all over again.

mike69440 said:
I believe I blew my chance on a relly nice machine as I was too cheap.

Tough lesson to learn.

I am talking not buying the Mistu. I came across another machine and did not act untill too late. Need to start looking all over again.

Latest news.

Well I bught a 1997 Komatsu PC75UU-2E Excavator @ +17000 lbs.

I have not seen the machine or seen it run, but for 4600 hours, it looks in real good shape.

Interesting story.

This farmer/ septic installer bought a new machine but stiffed the dealer and switched to a Kobelco of same size with a maintenance contract vs. buying another Komatsu.

The dealer only takes machine in trade and offered the farmer peanuts.

I spoke to the dealer’s sales manager about the machine, then the mechanic who serviced this machine, then to the farmer.

Farmer did not want to be bothered selling machine, so sold it through an eBay store.

I've spoken to 5 different people regarding this machine, EBay store, appraiser, Dealer, and owner and did not get a hint of anything negative.
Seller seems a real straight shooter.

So I took the plunge and hope this whole thing turns out. I will take care of the machine and hope to either keep it as a side business or resell when the building market turns up.

I was looking at about $20,000 more in site work, and have spent 20K already, not counting plans, permits and surveys. ($12,000) Add another $10,000 for trucked in materials! I like playing in the dirt and figure that a good machine in this weight range will do all the little and medium project I can think of.

I want a foundation this year!

Any recommendations on a hydraulic thumb? A mechanical thumb is a big pain in the rear tease, and I won't make that mistake again.

I figure I will be in it for +$60K in equipment and implements. I can't take it with me!

/ Should i pursue this Excavator. #9  
Does it have the foot valve and plumbing on the boom? That would be a big savings when installing a thumb attachment. Get a quote from the komatsu dealer in concord and go from there. There are some independent shops around to get other prices if you would like. Do not go with a cheap thumb. Get a wide multi tine thumb (like a Geith) and not a single slab of metal. It makes picking and placing rocks much easier. Just a heads up, you will probably be looking for a way too move material soon (ie a dump truck). Do not use the excavator like a front end loader or material hauler. They were built to dig, not transport dirt.

Grease, grease, grease, change filters, change oil, grease grease grease. You probably know this all ready but....

11 days ago I drove up to the dealer in VT where the Komatsu PC75UU-2E excavator is being stored to check it out and measure it up for a pin on bucket style direct linkage custom HT4214 hydraulic thumb from USA Attachments. The excavator purchase was through a private sale but the dealer is being nice about keeping the unit at his place until I can get it to NH. I am having it gone over and they are installing the thumb that I sourced myself.

Overall, it is a nice machine. Things I which were like a new excavator but are not:

1. Sit in a mid 90's Japanese pickup. The cab has less room than that. I made the mistake of sitting in the Captain Kirk chair in a new excavator. I want the new one.

2. The dealer said this machines has very little pin wear for 4600 hours. He said the play in the boom will force me to be a smooth operator and to live with the play.

3. I was hoping the excavator would have a lot of swing torque. Nope, that is not in the cards.

4. The PC75UU-2E excavator is a one speed machine with a drawbar pull is a bit less than 10,000 lbs. Newer machines have a hi/low range and some models pulll very close to their own weight.

I got to knock down a snow pile in the parking lot and drive the machine around. It is plumbed for a thumb on the right joystick and has a foot valve to articulate the dipper side to side.

I do not think I will have any problem operating it.

I best not have any expectations this is a CAT 330, but at + 18,000 lbs and over 12,000 lbs of bucket curl, ought to dig a bit more effectively than my Kubota L39 TLB.

I was told that the dozer blade moves and grades loose material really well from another owner of the same model and that the one speed machine will take me in any area a sane man would go.