Snow Should I get a better snow setup?

/ Should I get a better snow setup? #1  

Olympus

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R3039
The last couple years, we've gotten a large amount of snow. I always use my tractor to hit all the neighbors driveways. This year I started getting neighbors giving me some cash. That got me thinking if I should invest in some better snow equipment and expand a little more. Let's not get bogged down in liability,insurance, lawyers, yada yada. I'm not talking about a business, just found a better job for friends and neighbors.

My first thought would be a soft cab with some kind of heater. The wind and cold keeps me from spending a lot of time on the tractor. It also keeps me in close proximity to home. But OTC now makes a soft cab for the 2030, which I believe is the same frame and dimensions as my 2023. $900 and that solves that problem. Anyone have any advice or experience with OTC cabs? They seem to be the least expensive option. Any ideas for heat? With a cab, I could take my tractor down the road a little ways to my grandparents subdivision and get their driveway. And my thinking is that since they live in a very nice subdivision with other elderly people, I might be able to hit a few more driveways while I'm there.

Next question: for the front end should I stay with my factory bucket, drop the bucket and find a power turning front snow plow, or go all out and get a front snow blower?

What should I do for the back end? I currently have a 5ft grader blade that I use.

/ Should I get a better snow setup?
I'm pretty sure I could come close to paying for the cost of the soft cab on the first good snow.

/ Should I get a better snow setup? #4  
The OTC cab is a great option and will let you keep working indefinitely in most winter weather. I would recommend the optional safety glass windshield. I also added some Ebay LED lights to mine which works well. If you are doing short driveways (20 or 30 feet) your back blade and loader should be fine. Long driveways would have you looking at a blower or an angle blade.

mirror1.jpg

All of the driveways in my neighborhood are long. Mine is probably the longest at 400ft probably. Most of the others are over 100ft. A lot of us, myself included, have chat driveways and using my bucket and blade always ends up pushing gravel in the yards. That's why I was considering a blower. It's no full shoveling and raking gravel out of yards and back into the driveway.

That cab looks great! What are your thoughts on quality? How hard was it to install?

This is my machine this year. Had 12" all at once, then another 2 on top a few days later, then another 9" after all that had melted.

ForumRunner_20150313_124548.png

ForumRunner_20150313_124559.png

ForumRunner_20150313_124606.png

/ Should I get a better snow setup? #7  
Olympus, did you have chains on your tractor? I doubt it, but I'm still asking. I know you had problems earlier in the year with your tires spinning on dirt until you had them loaded.

She looks great though!

/ Should I get a better snow setup? #8  
A snow blower sure is nice for getting the snow out of the way for up coming storms . The blower on my 2650 works great along with the blade on the rear . I have a long gravel driveway and this is what works good for me . I have the blower adjusted about an inch or so off the ground so I don't pick up rocks etc. at the first of the season or after things melt some . I have a piece of 6ft. 2 inch pipe slit so it fits on my rear blade so it doesn't dig up the dirt . I drag the blade as I am blowing snow so it picks up any remaining snow and pushes that to the side so I get that when I make the return trip. If you don't mind going backwards with a blower you could do that and keep your bucket . As for a soft cab that should keep you dry and warm if you opt for a heater also . There are several different ways of getting the job done , just depends on budget and your preference .

/ Should I get a better snow setup? #9  
If you get less than 100in./year a front plow in combination with your rear blade should do it.Remember snow blowers do have there place where above 100in/year but are higher maintaince and cost.

/ Should I get a better snow setup? #10  
I'm pretty sure I could come close to paying for the cost of the soft cab on the first good snow.

If you are doing that much you do need insurance, sooner or later it will come back & bite you in the a#@.