Shop press

/ Shop press #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
Harbor Frt has a 12 ton press on sale for $99. Is this press strong enough to straighten a kink in a 1" round bar tie rod?

/ Shop press #2  
The 12 ton is a death trap! The frame flexes long before the ram runs out of steam. The resulting equal and opposite reaction is violent- I cut mine up so I would be tempted to use it again!!! Their 20-30 ton (sorry I don’t remember which) has a cult following and several folks make aftermarket parts for them. Save up a bit a spring for that one!

/ Shop press #3  
If its not too sharp a kink. A sharp kink will require a close span setup initially to prevent rotation as force is applied. A close span takes a LOT of force. With 12T on 1"dia You probably wouldnt be able to move the metal on a span closer than ~6"

Last edited:
   / Shop press
The 12 ton is a death trap! The frame flexes long before the ram runs out of steam. The resulting equal and opposite reaction is violent- I cut mine up so I would be tempted to use it again!!! Their 20-30 ton (sorry I don’t remember which) has a cult following and several folks make aftermarket parts for them. Save up a bit a spring for that one!

That's enough for me not to acquire it.
Thanks RN and Spydy

/ Shop press #5  
To be clear I now have the HF 20 or 30 ton model and find it works well for a home shop. If you can keep the tie rod from rolling I believe it will straighten things up.

/ Shop press #6  
I have the 20 ton and am happy with it.
I added extensions to the legs so I didn't have to get on my knees to use it.
I also upgraded to the 20 ton air over hydraulic jack and really like it.
I can still use the handle for fine pressure or air for regular.
To keep rod from kinking or rolling set in on blocks of wood and push with block on ram.

/ Shop press #7  
Harbor Frt has a 12 ton press on sale for $99. Is this press strong enough to straighten a kink in a 1" round bar tie rod?

I copied much of the design of the HF 20 ton press and built my own using side pieces identical to the HF 20 ton and some I beam i had laying around.
While back, bent one of my grapples 1 3/8" round tines. so i decided to try and straighten it with the press and some heat from an oxy/acetylene
anyway ended up snapping the tine

no damage to the press, - My guess is the HF 20 ton will work for you

Attachments

• 100_8448 (2).JPG
    100_8448 (2).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
   / Shop press #8  
I have the 20T. Works great for me, as a home shop light duty press. It does have it's limitations, and I'd never consider it for a professional production shop, but it has worked for me on several jobs around the shop. For a 1" rod, I'd think it would straighten it, if you can set up your bend properly and keep it from rotating first. May have to do it in several steps to get it done.

/ Shop press #9  
I have a 20 ton and have straighten 1" stock or bent it, I use my press a lot, a 20 ton can send things flying so use with care and caution, wear eye protection,

/ Shop press #10  
Do you own a logsplitter? I use mine for pressing things all the time. Got a piece made to slip over the wedge and protect its edge (and to not cut into the steel Im pressing)