Shop build and heating in 2024

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #31  
I think 12K is a little light for your application. It's hard to know exactly what you need since the amount of insulation, windows, doors etc all impact it. I think I would look to put in at least twice that heating capacity.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #32  
I built a 54 x 28 shop, inside my 54 x 72 pole barn. I was going to put in radiant heat, but the $ was too high. I DID put 2" foam board under the concrete floor though. I had the side walls spray foamed and ceiling has 12" blown in insulation. For heat, I have a Modine Hot Dawg heater (like this but mine is 100k btu) https://www.supplyhouse.com/Modine-HD45AS0121FBAN-HD45-Hot-Dawg-Power-Vented-Heater-LP-45000-BTU in an upper corner. This my first winter with it. I'm very happy with it. I have a through-the-wall A/C unit, for summer heat/humidity.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024
I built a 54 x 28 shop, inside my 54 x 72 pole barn. I was going to put in radiant heat, but the $ was too high. I DID put 2" foam board under the concrete floor though. I had the side walls spray foamed and ceiling has 12" blown in insulation. For heat, I have a Modine Hot Dawg heater (like this but mine is 100k btu) https://www.supplyhouse.com/Modine-HD45AS0121FBAN-HD45-Hot-Dawg-Power-Vented-Heater-LP-45000-BTU in an upper corner. This my first winter with it. I'm very happy with it. I have a through-the-wall A/C unit, for summer heat/humidity.
How much propane are you using?

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #34  
I'm in North Central Iowa and have a wood stove suplementing the house heat, (and this winter has been mostly milder) so I can't quote usage/comparison #'s, sorry. I'd say "It doesn't run much" when I'm out there working. I keep it set at 45 and bump it up to 60 to work out there.

Since you're in the planning stage, here's a couple inside pics for ideas:

Attachments

• Rotary Lift Oct 27 2023.jpg
    Rotary Lift Oct 27 2023.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Sept 6 2023 shop.jpg
    Sept 6 2023 shop.jpg
    622.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
   / Shop build and heating in 2024 #35  
I got some clarification on a local facebook bulletin board.
View attachment 851252
I wonder if these regulations vary by region. It's been a few years, but back when I'd get a permit to take wood from NFS land, you were only allowed to take what was dead and down...no dead standing trees. No motor vehicles were permitted either.
Typically, I'd hit sites that had been logged the previous winter. Usually plenty of slash big enough to make it worthwhile. Had to huff it out myself, I suppose if I had a draft animal I could've used that but I didn't so I didn't.

These regulations were enforced. I got "carded" at least once a season. Was always in compliance, but the rangers implied that I was in the minority.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #36  
I'd suggest talking to a few local HVAC shops, for free quotes (ideas - DIY?) for what would work best for your locale. I paid for the heater, concrete, insulation, car lift and roll-up doors; and did the rest of the build myself. Those insulation boards sure are pricey (I bought them in stages while I was still working), aren't they?

I'd suggest talking to a few local HVAC shops, for free quotes (ideas - DIY?) for what would work best for your locale. I paid for the heater, concrete, insulation, car lift and roll-up doors; and did the rest of the build myself. Those insulation boards sure are pricey (I bought them in stages while I was still working), aren't they?
Yes they are. I heard that propane heating produces moisture have you experienced this?

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #38  
Yes they are. I heard that propane heating produces moisture have you experienced this?
The Hot Dawg heater(s) use outside air for combustion and is "power vented", so I've seen no added moisture into the shop. I did buy, but haven't even taken out of the box, a LP torpedo type heater. I would NOT recommend one of those, for a permanent solution. I put the foam board down and around the exterior "rat guard"/footing and with the spray "closed cell" insulation, it is warm, dry and draft free.

/ Shop build and heating in 2024 #39  
Be very careful with unvented heaters. There is a fairly considerable amount of water produced for every gal of propane burned and has to be some risk with CO and CO2 also. Its amazing how unvented heaters have come to dominate the market because they save the cost of a chimney or direct vent style system, thus they are always the cheapest solution.

The Hot Dawg heater(s) use outside air for combustion and is "power vented", so I've seen no added moisture into the shop. I did buy, but haven't even taken out of the box, a LP torpedo type heater. I would NOT recommend one of those, for a permanent solution. I put the foam board down and around the exterior "rat guard"/footing and with the spray "closed cell" insulation, it is warm, dry and draft free.
May you post a picture of this set up :

I put the foam board down and around the exterior "rat guard"/footing and with the spray "closed cell" insulation,

Also do these run off like a propane grill tank or would i need to get one of the larger permanent tanks?

Last edited: