Shipping container weight on one end?

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #21  
If you're moving it on solid ground, just use the forklift......

Attachments

• IMG_HDR (2).jpg
    IMG_HDR (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
   / Shipping container weight on one end? #22  
The jacks don't need too be large or anything fancy. A couple of decent bottle jacks will work fine because it only needs to be lifted in relatively small increments. You just have to make sure you get a good grip on the lift holes until you can get it high enough to get under it otherwise you would have to dig it but I would be inclined to try not to disturb the ground.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #23  
I bought one of these "cheap" 3 ton 60 inch jacks at TSC on sale last year. Flimsy castings. Broke the first time I used it. No thank you.

I need to go to some farm auctions to find an older unit NOT made in china or India.
Here's the guys who invented it and still make them, not far from me. They even have a section on those knock-off competitors.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #24  
Just pit the pallet forks on and see if you can lift one end. Then all your questions will be answered.

But if moving any distance at all and maybe some small hills involved Id want to tow it from the rear hitch. Basically make it like a trailer.

I know there are alot here who will freak out at that notion....being a "big and heavy" shipping container and all. But 5000# "trailer" behind a 5000lb bare weight tractor should be a piece of cake. I have done that many times with a tractor half that weight.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #25  
For shortish moves I would try to drag/lift it with the 3 pth, which uses the strong axle on your tractor. You don't even have to lift one end off the ground, just get some weight on the back wheels and go slow. Just be careful with using strong enough chains and a strong but lightish attachment to connect the lift arms together.
Also be aware you are setting up the tractor to wheelie if the load snags, and also potentially flip over if you turn sharp.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #26  
Here's the guys who invented it and still make them, not far from me. They even have a section on those knock-off competitors.

I think 6,000 lbs in china directly translates to hahafugotyourmoney

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #28  
my thought as well.
If just trying to move it once big enough wheels in the middle means ends weigh almost nothing.

Could use two jack-alls on the corners and would easily lift to get wheels or rolls underneath.

I lifted a 40' with 2 jack-alls, placed 5" rnd fence posts under it bought from local farm store cheap and pulled - rolled it around with a utility tractor.

Ah! fence posts! They way our species did it before there were tractors! (Or, come to think of it, container ships)

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #29  
First thing is like others said it is half not considering doors. The higher you lift it the lighter it gets as the high weight starts going over the rear pivot. Also obviously more unsafe. Many machine manufacturers will give two breakout forces one for curl and one for loader lift. Sometimes measured at the pivot pin which makes a higher advertised number but is mostly useless. If you have a quick connect you could remove your bucket. With that little tractor I would keep it low and be careful. Obviously.