Shipping container weight on one end?

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #1  

streamin

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST
I was considering buying wheels for one end of my 20' shipping container. It weighs about 5K. I was wondering how much one end would weight when you picked it up with the loader. If it is half it will not do it. I think my lift capacity is about 2200 give or take. So anybody know about how that weight is divided on one end?

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #2  
I tried picking one end of mine up (20') with a Kioti DK40 and it wouldn't do it without lifting the rear wheels off the ground.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #3  
container-end.jpg

Maybe a little heavier at the end with the doors.

Bruce

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #5  
Can you put the wheels inboard from the end? The further inboard the more the weight behind the wheels counteracts the force required to lift the non-wheel end.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #6  
What's the end goal? Is it meant to be mobile from here on out or are you just trying to figure out how to get it from point a to point b?

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #7  
I was considering buying wheels for one end of my 20' shipping container. It weighs about 5K. I was wondering how much one end would weight when you picked it up with the loader. If it is half it will not do it. I think my lift capacity is about 2200 give or take. So anybody know about how that weight is divided on one end?

What's the end goal? Is it meant to be mobile from here on out or are you just trying to figure out how to get it from point a to point b?
my thought as well.
If just trying to move it once big enough wheels in the middle means ends weigh almost nothing.

Could use two jack-alls on the corners and would easily lift to get wheels or rolls underneath.

I lifted a 40' with 2 jack-alls, placed 5" rnd fence posts under it bought from local farm store cheap and pulled - rolled it around with a utility tractor.

1684347040081.png

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #8  
Do you just want to lift it to put wheels on? Dig under the end and use a couple of 4" x 6"s with support a foot from the box and pry it up. Pick the other end up with the 3 point.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #9  
It all comes down to wheel placement. As said before, you can dial in your tongue weight depending on where the wheels are relative to the lifting end. You'd need to be careful about how you load it if this is a "permanent" on the road solution, but for simply moving to a permanent resting place empty, try setting at midpoint + about 1" per foot of length & see how it feels. (11' 8" or round to 12' from lifting end). Just make sure you axle/tires will handle the load your transferring off the hitch. Further back, more tongue weight, further forward, less tongue weight.

/ Shipping container weight on one end? #10  
keep in mind the 2200 lb you are referencing is most likely to full height at the pin it will be 2x that for the first 12". it is listed as breakout force in your loader specs.
so the question become how high do you need to lift it?