Shibaura

/ Shibaura #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have an oportunity to purchase a 1985 (+-) Shibaura, 3 cyl. diesel, gray market tractor. It is 22 hp at the PTO, 4whd, gear trans., power steering. I can buy it from a dealer that sell nothing but graymarket tractors. He told me he can get parts and can fix anything that goes wrong with the Shibaura. I would come with a 30 day warranty. The asking price is $5200.00.
Does anyone have any advise or experience with this brand of tactor?

/ Shibaura #2  
S.,

Shibaura makes the engines for most New Holland compacts as far as I know. I have a NH TC18 and its engine is Shibaura, no problems after 63 hours!

Don't know anything about the Grey market tractors though, parts would be my biggest question along with the rotation of the pto (some greys have run backwards), operator's manual and/or shop manual available?

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Shibaura #3  
There are apparently a lot of grey market tractors around, but I understand no longer legally imported because they lack U.S. safety equipment. My only advice would be to read the various topics on the boards about grey market tractors, regardless of brand. There are many happy owners, and there are enough horror stories about lack of parts and service to scare me. In my uneducated opinion, that price sounds a bit high.

Bird

/ Shibaura #4  
Actually it is perfectly legal to import grey market tractors except for Kubotas. Kubota America filed a lawsuit to stop the import of the Japanese Made tractors into the U.S. There are a growing number of these tractors in the U.S. and parts aren't as hard to get as one would think. I am a certified yanmar parts dealer and stock many grey market salvage parts and grey market "crossover" parts. If you need parts contact me at SoonerL@aol.com, 405-279-2078 or check out our website at www.soonersales.com

/ Shibaura #6  
I do not have info on this brand, but being one that has owned a grey before I feel i should tell you the pit falls.
Chewed rear bearing and nicked gear
replaced parts
pto shaft that came with tractor not correct length, This really hurt. Broke complete pto housing when 3pt mower got high centered, I didnt snap that i couldnt get to raise because of the bind on drive shaft. Any way weeks later countless hours on the net searching for housing. With prices (used) between 75 and 200 dollars> I finally got one for 75, repaired and went straight to the auction.. My point that dont make all the parts any more on lots of these greys, so its kinda of a gamble. I know tons of people have them with no problems and for the price its hard to beat, but there is a chance to it..

Hope this helps

/ Shibaura #7  
sounds like a high price to me; the grey market tractors around here are not near that high, or that old; i have a B6100 85 kubota/4wd with a 3pt tiller and 3pt finish mower i'd sell for a lot less. $3700 with the owners and shop manual.
heehaw