shibaura hard to start

/ shibaura hard to start #1  

cgmz77

Tractor
Yanmar 186,shibaura 1540, Lo-boy,
I have aSD1540B.Ijust got a new starter,but now does not want to start.Check fuel pump,is ok.Somebody have other ideas? Need help.cgmz77.:(

/ shibaura hard to start #2  
Can you give any more background, or explanation of symptoms? Do I understand you right, that you've checked the injection pump? What does that mean to you?

The standard formula is to bleed the fuel filter and lines to the injection pump, then bleed the injector lines to the injectors. Preheat, then crank, and it will run if compression is sufficient. It has to. Where in that process are you? Any smoke from the exhaust?

/ shibaura hard to start
Thanks 284.About fuel pump means that is delivering fuel all the way to the injector. No smoke from the exhaust. Glow plug working. No air in the lines.
Then, according to your message next step will be check compression? or
do you have any other sugestion? Thank you very much for your help.cgmz77.

/ shibaura hard to start
Thanks 284.About fuel pump means that is delivering fuel all the way to the injector. No smoke from the exhaust. Glow plug working. No air in the lines.
Then, according to your message next step will be check compression? or
do you have any other sugestion? Thank you very much for your help.cgmz77.

/ shibaura hard to start #5  
If fuel is getting to the injectors, and no smoke is coming out of the exhaust, the only thing left is low compression.

In your first post, you said you had put on a new starter. Why did that happen, and was everything working beforehand? That is, was it running before you replaced the starter? If all that is different is a swapped starter, the engine didn't suddenly lose its rings or break a valve.

Does this tractor have a compression release somewhere? I wonder if it is hanging open a little bit.

Is it possible that ether was used trying to get it to fire? That is known to break things on these small engines.

If it worked before you swapped the starter, and it hasn't been broken with ether, then it's going to be something simple like a compression release or loose injector/glow plug or something along those lines. Since no smoke is coming out of the exhaust at all, that means none of the cylinders are firing, or even trying to do so. How did you check fuel delivery to the injectors?

/ shibaura hard to start
Thanks 284. I didn't use ether. To check the fuel delivery I unpluged the fuel line at the injector and cranck the tractor I saw fuel drops coming out. I don't know if it has a compression release or where to find it. In the meantime I'll check the compression that by the way I didn't konow that is a different tester than the one I use for the cars.I'll buy one for diesel engines.
Thank you again for help. As you see I don't have a clue about diesel engines.
cgmz77

/ shibaura hard to start
I'm sorry 284, I forgot to tell you that I changed the starter because I damaged it triyng to star the tractor that I had not used for at least four months.Then, I had the problem before and after starters. Thank you.cgmz77

/ shibaura hard to start #8  
You should have pulses of fuel at the injector end, not just drops. I'd start easy and work toward hard. So, change the fuel filter, then bleed the system. Make sure the fuel is fresh. Then check your fuel delivery to the injectors and see if it looks better when cranking. If the machine has sat for awhile, a plugged fuel system is vastly more likely than losing compression spontaneously.

Did you check all the injector lines for fuel delivery?

If you already have access to a compression tester go ahead and try it, but I don't know what the specification for that engine should be, and it's unlikely you have a service manual. If you have to buy one, you may find the adapters won't fit. For example, the kit sold at Harbor Freight doesn't fit Yanmar machines, even though it has several adapters.

A compression release would be a lever or cable going through the valve cover somehow.

It will get resolved, keep after it! Just go about things methodically and with a logical plan, rather than throwing money at the problem and hoping. If the compression test reveals good compression, we're back to a fueling issue, and you'll need to replace the fuel filter and bleed the system. If it reveals low compression and you rebuild it, you will replace the fuel filter and bleed the system. From my end, it makes sense to do the things that will get done anyway first.

/ shibaura hard to start
284,thank you very much I'll follow your advice. I hope to give you news very soon. Thanks cgmz77.