Mowing sharpening finish mower blades

/ sharpening finish mower blades #1  

2516mo

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 mahindra 2516 gear
I have never been very good at sharpening mower blades. I can get them sharpened for 9.00 each times 3, but its 30 minutes each way, after removing them, and waiting a week each time. I have been looking at the dedicated machines which start at a 199.00. Just wondering if they are worth it. I realize that I could get a lot of sharpening done for 200.00, but the sharpener is intreaging. An alternative I am considering is getting a second set of blades again, and keep a sharp pair in the garage.
Advice please?

/ sharpening finish mower blades #2  
I use either an angle grinder with about a 120 grit disk, or my 3" belt sander with a 100 grit belt. Either works great for me. I use a single cut bastard to remove the burrs.

I've also used a 2" vertical belt sander in the past that also worked well. Just be sure to avoid overheating the blade.

Have two sets of blades so you have a sharp set on the shelf, then you can sharpen the dull ones at your leisure

/ sharpening finish mower blades #3  
Ditto

Belt / disc sander is the bees knees for sharpening blades.

/ sharpening finish mower blades #4  
For something like a chainsaw, where there are all those little teeth to deal with, and consistency is critical, I could kind of see getting a dedicated cutting machine. But for a mower I don't think a dedicated machine is warranted. For one thing, the shape of the blade is pretty simple--and for another thing... I mean, call me a heretic if you will... but I don't think the consistency of the blade's edge is that critical. We're not talking about a sushi knife here! I sharpen my mower blades by hand, with either a bench grinder or a hand-held angle grinder. Just look at a fresh blade to get an idea what angle you're shooting for and then have at it.

/ sharpening finish mower blades #5  
I have never been very good at sharpening mower blades. I can get them sharpened for 9.00 each times 3, but its 30 minutes each way, after removing them, and waiting a week each time. I have been looking at the dedicated machines which start at a 199.00. Just wondering if they are worth it. I realize that I could get a lot of sharpening done for 200.00, but the sharpener is intreaging. An alternative I am considering is getting a second set of blades again, and keep a sharp pair in the garage.
Advice please?

Yes a dedicated machine is worth it. Its not just getting it sharp its getting the correct angle too 30° and to take it a step further getting them balanced and not on the old fashioned cone style. I have a dedicated machine and if my blades aren't to bad I can have them off sharpened and back in 10min balanced takes 15min if its not out to far

/ sharpening finish mower blades #6  
I sharpen mine myself as others mention but before I spent an extra $200 on the tool I would buy a few sets of blades that way you bring several sets of blades in when it is convenient.

/ sharpening finish mower blades #7  
The "special" tool is just a grinder with a table to rest the blade on, the table just has to be the right hight.

/ sharpening finish mower blades #8  
When you're sharpening mower blades, don't forget to balance them before you re-install them. Also, they aren't sharpened to a razors edge, they are purposely left with a 1/16" blunt edge so they don't break.