Sharpening drill bits

/ Sharpening drill bits
Hey, thanks to all for the suggestions. The drill-doctor idea is timely. Every year the kids ask me what I want for Christmas and I always say 'nothing'. This year I asked for a post-hole digger as one of the fiber glass handles shattered. But now, I will ask for a drill-doctor. Any particular model preferred?

This is the one I am looking at now - marked down to $149, plus a 10% off coupon, and it all comes to $145 out the door.

I don't think I will have the patience or skill to master the grinder process.

I can always count on this forum for help. So nice to have it.

/ Sharpening drill bits #12  
The 750X is the one I have and I am very happy with the results.
I believe the cheaper one only does smaller bits.

/ Sharpening drill bits #13  
Here's my tech tip... You put the bit in the holder and turn the holder around and around in the grinding hole. The holder rocks in a cammed action and the bit contacts the stone in about 1/3 of the circle. The rest of the rotation is nothing - air. So don't rush. Find the contact spot, keep even mild pressure and move slowly across the stone. On the initial sharpening I will even lift and go back to repeat making 2 slow passes on each side a couple of times, then go to a single pass but always going slow and deliberate over the stone at maybe 3 seconds a pass. This slow pass greatly speeds up the process... like using an electric knife sharpener.
When I got my first one I tried to quickly grind the bits and it took forever.

/ Sharpening drill bits #14  
Still do it that way for large drills, but use a drill doctor (DD) on the smaller stuff; they become increasingly harder to see/hold/rotate as things shrink in size.
This is what drove me to the DD. I can do a decent job on 1/4-3/8 and up at the grinder, but that size and down (pilot hole size) I seem to go through them.

/ Sharpening drill bits #15  
A+ on the DD
I needed one forever because I'm cheap
Finally got one
Years later I really really needed a sharp bit for something and finally used the DD - easy and super effective!

/ Sharpening drill bits #16  
I've been sharpening drills since I was about 14. I started tool room training and was told, "A machinist that can't sharpen a drill is like a secretary that can't sharpen a pencil." I'm right handed, but hold the drill left handed. I could see the cutting edge easier that way. Now, sixty plus years later, I use a Drill Doctor on anything less than 1/4". The eyes just don't work like they used to. It takes practice, but then so does everything else.

/ Sharpening drill bits #17  
wasnt going to ...but i have to say i have the Drill Doctor 750 also....wonderful tool. you'll love it

/ Sharpening drill bits #18  
I've been sharpening drills since I was about 14. I started tool room training and was told, "A machinist that can't sharpen a drill is like a secretary that can't sharpen a pencil." I'm right handed, but hold the drill left handed. I could see the cutting edge easier that way. Now, sixty plus years later, I use a Drill Doctor on anything less than 1/4". The eyes just don't work like they used to. It takes practice, but then so does everything else.
You Sir are not kidding. What I use to be able to do by eye... now I do by feel.

/ Sharpening drill bits #19  
Way back when, where I went to college they required mechanical engineering students to take a 3 credit class in a machine shop. We learned to do things like run lathes, arc weld, and we even spent a day on learning the logic behind sharpening a drill bit. It was so useful. I have sharpened my own bits by hand ever since with good success.

/ Sharpening drill bits #20  
Sharpen by hand guy here past 40 years. Learned the skill in a production shop drilling hardened truck chassis and we went through a lot of bits. Could even do 1/8" by hand and eye back then, not so much now.

Another tip is don't get the bit too hot or the new edge won't last long.