Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,161  
You don't have to lose the axle nut to have the hub come off. If the outer bearing disintegrates (lack of grease... burns up and comes apart) then the hub no longer has retention.
Yep...this happened to me. Bearings, wheel, tire...gone! The nut was still there,

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,164  
No time for a photo, but today at the merge point of two freeways I saw a CHP officer, flashing lights on, parked behind and protecting a small junk trailer. As we got closer it was obvious the hub and wheel had come off the trailer leaving just the stub axle. Somebody forgot the cotter pin?

Seemed to me the only way to get the pickup and trailer to a safe place would be to just order the pickup to drag the trailer as-is to the shoulder beyond the merge, because getting a wrecker in there and hooked up with a dolly would disrupt traffic and likely cause crashes.
Personally, I would have dragged the trailer to a safe spot before I stopped.

I've done it many times before.

Years ago I had a customer damaged an axle and abandoned the piece of towable equipment on I-40 in Orlando smack dab in the middle of a construction zone.

I just whipped up in front of it while the cop was blocking traffic in that lane. I told the cop to follow me. I latched onto the equipment real quick and dragged it down to a safe spot to complete the repairs.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,165  
IMG_8652.png