Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,051  
You can clearly see the trucks lights. I have talked to police in rural North Carolina and Virginia ad they don't mind if the trailer does not have lights so long as you are driving during the day and can see the lights from the tow vehicle from behind.
I don't mind getting behind somebody as long as it's daylight so that I can see them, and know when they are stopping and/or turning. I know how hard it can be to keep trailer lights working. However, some peole don't care. Common lore is that if you rear end somebody you are automatically at fault. I don't know how that works if they don't have taillights. A couple of years ago I came up behind a pickup pulling a contractor's trailer, so all that I saw was a white wall. Unbeknownst to me he was pulling in to get gas at the same place I was. As a courtesy I mentioned that his trailer lights were out. He already knew but didn't care. Had I been motoring through I probably would have smacked him doing about 40.

Investigators can tell from the way the filaments are, whether your taillights were on. An officer may not go to that extent unless there was a fatality involved. If an insurance company is looking at a 6 figure settlement however, they might go the extra mile. My company truck has dash cams front and rear, making it easier to tell whether I messed up or if somebody else did.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,052  
Sounds like the same law enforcement we have, I was behind a similar looking truck and trailer to the one you posted except he had an old car on the trailer no chains anywhere, no lights, tires bald and splayed out from being overloaded. The truck tail lights were broken, only light working I saw on the back of the truck was the cargo light on the back of the cab. I assumed it was used as a brake light, it came on when he slowed to turn onto another highway or it could have just been a wiring short. :unsure:

A half mile up the highway I found two county deputies parked and BS'ing. Stopped and told them about it and they just sat there with that blank, dumba__ expression that most LEO in this county have, did not move or care in the least.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,053  
You can clearly see the trucks lights. I have talked to police in rural North Carolina and Virginia ad they don't mind if the trailer does not have lights so long as you are driving during the day and can see the lights of the tow vehicle from behind.

If you do end up in the dark with no trailer ights put your flashers on!
Indiana Trailer Lighting Laws

A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or any other vehicle that is pulled at the end of another vehicle must be equipped with at least 1 rear-mounted red taillight. This taillight must be plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet away. This vehicle must also be equipped with 2 or more rear-mounted white taillights. These taillights must be mounted between 20 inches and 72 inches from the ground. A separate white light must be placed on the vehicle so that it illuminates the rear plate and makes it clearly visible from a distance of 50 feet. All of these taillights must be properly wired so that when the headlights are illuminated, these lights are also illuminated.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,054  
Followed this rolling wreck yesterday on some county roads.
No lights at all on it, no license plate, unsecured load, no safety chains and the ball hitch didn't appear to have a locking lever on it. Caught him at a light and told him he had no lights and he acted surprised.
It wasn't that the lights didn't work, there were no lights on it.

View attachment 826752
The state north of me would define his trailer as fully legal. The tail lights of the truck are not obscured and it's being used in the day time.

Most Ag trailer on the roads up here don't even have the needed SMV. So this guy is no different.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,055  
It's rare here to see a shabby trailer, I only recall a couple, just gardener crews and not severely loaded.

But what I have never seen ever, is a trailer pulled over by LEO. This surprises me because with 'Trailers - 55mph' signs on the highways it is common to see a trailer driven by an obvious amateur at 70+ in the fast lane not getting over for anyone.

Occasionally with the inevitable result! Sometimes a boat trailer on the side of the road with the axle stub broken off, and twice now, a towed car that came off a front wheel dolly and rolled along for a while. The first one must have caused mayhem in the heavy traffic judging by the skidmarks everywhere when I finally got to the front of the traffic jam. It had come to rest at the far side of the roadside ditch. With the tow car and dolly parked just beyond it. The other one not so dramatic but when the tow car turned left, the towed car separated and made a clean entry through a corner gate into a plowed field. I saw that one as it happened. No damage.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,056  
But what I have never seen ever, is a trailer pulled over by LEO. This surprises me because with 'Trailers - 55mph' signs on the highways it is common to see a trailer driven by an obvious amateur at 70+ in the fast lane not getting over for anyone.
In my area they are the ones pulling trailers with expired tags, no tags, or ficticious tags.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,057  
Indiana Trailer Lighting Laws

A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or any other vehicle that is pulled at the end of another vehicle must be equipped with at least 1 rear-mounted red taillight. This taillight must be plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet away. This vehicle must also be equipped with 2 or more rear-mounted white taillights. These taillights must be mounted between 20 inches and 72 inches from the ground. A separate white light must be placed on the vehicle so that it illuminates the rear plate and makes it clearly visible from a distance of 50 feet. All of these taillights must be properly wired so that when the headlights are illuminated, these lights are also illuminated.
Curiously, what are the 2 rear white tail lights for? Backup lights? Never seen that before.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,058  
Caught him at a light and told him he had no lights and he acted surprised.
It wasn't that the lights didn't work, there were no lights on it.
Thats why i dont borrow or lend trailers anymore. Just me and my mate use it.
Got tired with all the surprises on the road with borrowed trailers. Borrowed by me, or borrowed from me doesnt matter, theres always something broken.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,059  
In my area they are the ones pulling trailers with expired tags, no tags, or ficticious tags.
I am curious as to where or how you have gathered these stats?!?
Seems like a difficult task….

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,060  
I am curious as to where or how you have gathered these stats?!?
Seems like a difficult task….
I run a repair shop. My Police customers seem to pull their trailers for their mowers with either expired tags. the licence plate missing or they will pull the tag off of one of their other trailers and put on that trailer to deliver or pickup their mowers. I have never had a state trooper, county deputy or conservation officer come into the shop with a trailer properly tagged.

So my stats come from personally ribbing the officers about the trailer license plate issues.