Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,951  
What did you load, steel beams flat on the deck, or a tractor ?

I definately wouldnt want to drive a high center of gravity load like a tractor, with a tilt bed that doesnt latch. Even with 1600 pounds tongue weight, the tilt bed can snap up and down at a bump.
The rental company just didnt have their **** in proper condition, i would be furious if they knew.
Backhoe. Which I why I took the back roads, probably 20 mph max. They were smooth, so no real bumps. There was a manual "catch" and a hydraulic cylinder "lock". The "catch" (fairly heavy duty) worked, the hydraulic "lock" did not.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,952  
Don't new ford f150s have a built in scale option using led lights for tongue weight?
I saw a video on that for the new Ford SuperDuties on higher trim levels. Used the brake lights in sections to let you how much weight was in the bed or hitch. Had to fiddle with the dash to set it up for expected weight I think. I'd assume the F150 would be about the same.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,953  
When positioning the load on a tilt trailer, don't forget that the farther back the load is, the more stress on the tilt latch. I once rented a 15K trailer and its hydraulic cylinder that "locked" the tilt was not working. I did not know that until I was loaded and at that point, I had no choice but to front load as much as possible so the tilt "catch" would not be over stressed and rerouted my trip to slow back roads. I chewed out the rental place when I took the trailer back when they said "that is not an issue" (they apparently knew).
The last 10-15% of a tilting deck trailer isn't that useful. A normal trailer has the axles around 60-75% of the way back. A tilting deck needs to have the deck balanced & the pivot goes between the axles. So axles on a tilting deck are only 50% of the way back. Way easier to accidentally end up with insufficient tongue weight.

Only considering the trailer frame at least. Not the tongue, gooseneck or a fixed deck infront of the tilt.

I have a power tilt deckover these days rather than gravity tilt. The power hydraulics let it work unbalanced. But it still has axles further forward than a fixed deck.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,954  
The last 10-15% of a tilting deck trailer isn't that useful. A normal trailer has the axles around 60-75% of the way back. A tilting deck needs to have the deck balanced & the pivot goes between the axles. So axles on a tilting deck are only 50% of the way back. Way easier to accidentally end up with insufficient tongue weight.

Only considering the trailer frame at least. Not the tongue, gooseneck or a fixed deck infront of the tilt.

I have a power tilt deckover these days rather than gravity tilt. The power hydraulics let it work unbalanced. But it still has axles further forward than a fixed deck.
Whoa... I'm just a simple engineer, not a trailer designer. But even with my total lack of experience on the subject, I can easily see that deck pivot and axle location (i.e. tongue weight) need not have anything to do with one another. You can place the axles aft of the deck pivot, to maintain target tongue weight, even if the pivot is at 50% of bed/deck length. There is the issue of hitting the rear axle at maximum pivot angle, if pivot height/angle don't allow for it, but that problem is solvable, or a compromise can be found somewhere between ideal and the extreme of placing the axles at 50% bed length.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,955  
Whoa... I'm just a simple engineer, not a trailer designer. But even with my total lack of experience on the subject, I can easily see that deck pivot and axle location (i.e. tongue weight) need not have anything to do with one another. You can place the axles aft of the deck pivot, to maintain target tongue weight, even if the pivot is at 50% of bed/deck length. There is the issue of hitting the rear axle at maximum pivot angle, if pivot height/angle don't allow for it, but that problem is solvable, or a compromise can be found somewhere between ideal and the extreme of placing the axles at 50% bed length.

I'm sure it is "solvable" differently. But manufacturers seem to have solved it by putting the pivot between the axles. Probably the best support for the highest stress part of the frame. I suspect the 4-8' fixed deck on longer gravity tilts is the other fix.

My previous 16' gravity tilt had 8' before & after the pivot, which was between the axles. The gravity tilt Big Tex, Diamond C & a few others all had the same setup, unless they had a fixed deck up front.

It's not a horrible design & as with most things there are tradeoffs. Easier loading & unloading vs a trailer having a few extra feet of lesser usable deck space on the back.

I was going to get another gravity tilt, only with a fixed deck, to replace my old 16'. I ended up with my power tilt deckover. Taller trailer, steeper deck, harder to load a tractor onmore expensive & complex. But I didn't have side rails or fenders to get in the way when loading stuff from the side. Tradeoffs.

Not saying the design is wrong or unsolvable. It's just something that can tongue weight issues if not loaded right. And not everybody realizes the tail of a gravity tilt trailer isn't as usable as they may expect. I certainly didn't when I got my former 16' gravity tilt trailer & it caused me issues.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,956  

My tilt deck has a 6ft flat part in front of the tilting deck. The deck pivots directly over the axels and it’s gravity tilt. Assuming the deck tilts down at all you would have a reasonably safe load to pull. I like my machine forward some more for good measure. The only way you could unsafely load the trailer would be if you locked the deck once it tilted down and then back up.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,958  
I almost did that once in a lifted 1978 Bronco, but with a small British convertible, either MG or Triumph. Too long ago to remember anything other than my surprise, when the light turned green and this little car shot out from under the visual shadow of my front bumper. Having somehow forgot he was there, if he'd been any slower, I'd have rolled right over him.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,959  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,960  
It's not quick-detach, so as a practical matter it's not going to fall off. Per the Vehicle Code, probably.
If things get ugly, the chain can prevent the bucket and whatever it is attached to from moving. Imagine a backhoe or mini excavator with the swinging about if not chained.