Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,831  
I wonder what state that Tacoma was from and if rust had anything to do with the failure. I know heavy, tall campers can fatigue a truck frame, but those trucks typically have many, many "camping" miles on them compared to what I assume is an occasional tote haul. They probably did load to the rear so they could get it off easier. :rolleyes:

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,832  
Not towing in progress, but we passed them an hour or 2 previously on the highway. I complained to the wife about the sewer tank hanging a foot into the other lane. Low & behold they pull into the camp site next to us for the night.

Chatted with the guy & I wasn't the first one to inform him of that. 10k toy hauler they bragged about being overloaded & a full load of stuff in the bed, back of the cab & passenger seat. But hey it's a Nisan with a diesel so it's unbreakable... who cares about brakes & suspension.

Took them 3 tries to get into the pull through camp site & not run over the picnic table or sewer pipe.

I hate to be on the road with some people.View attachment 820729
20230910_082448.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,833  
2nd photo wouldn't attach.
20230910_082400.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,834  
Looks tall, like a 330 gallon tank. About 2700 lbs filled with water. I wonder if it was behind the axle when loaded.

Bruce
It certainly is in that photo. Moreover, if COM was not behind axle, failure could not have occurred in that way.

But there must be more to the story of this photo. I've seriously overloaded numerous 1/2 ton trucks of all vintages and brands, and there are so many failure points that should occur before an instantaneous and catastrophic frame failure like this. Tires, springs, spring mounts, heck... bed mounts! Something else must have been happening, there.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,835  
It certainly is in that photo. Moreover, if COM was not behind axle, failure could not have occurred in that way.

But there must be more to the story of this photo. I've seriously overloaded numerous 1/2 ton trucks of all vintages and brands, and there are so many failure points that should occur before an instantaneous and catastrophic frame failure like this. Tires, springs, spring mounts, heck... bed mounts! Something else must have been happening, there.
That looks like a relatively old truck. Besides, 2600 lbs on a truck designed to haul half of that is a recipe for disaster.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,836  
That looks like a relatively old truck. Besides, 2600 lbs on a truck designed to haul half of that is a recipe for disaster.
Definitely. But I would expect several other components to fail before the disaster played out in that way. Just bizarre, makes me wonder if it's even real.

Like goeduck said, maybe it was rust? Even there, you'd expect a spring shackle to tear off the frame, that's where rust usually gets frames, before a total frame failure like that.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,837  
That style Tacoma was known for frame rust. I had an '01 that had a total frame replacement under recall/warranty. Just a thought...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,838  
Looks like the truck has one of those slick plastic bed liners. Could the container slid back when the driver took off and slam that weight against the tailgate which would increase the force against the frame.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,839  
Looks like the truck has one of those slick plastic bed liners. Could the container slid back when the driver took off and slam that weight against the tailgate which would increase the force against the frame.
I think even if the water tank was in the front of the bed the truck could have broken like that and the tank slid to the rear. Think no matter what bed liner it would slide.

When the frame broke if the rear wheels were pushing the truck I think it could bow up like that.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,840  
The US Enegery Secretary had a bad experience finding enough chargers for her EV Caravan recently. The advance team, about an hour or so ahead of the caravan, found a charger open and parked a government gasoline vehicle in the spot to "save" it for the Energy Sec and a local citizen who was blocked out called to local police to have the car towed. Really funny story.

Funny? Not to me. This post could/should be in the "We're not gonna make it" thread.