Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,621  
The G80 in my pickup only will engage below 30 mph, to avoid what you describe. As I said before though, the stabiltrak will kick in first.

I disengaged the ABS on my first truck which had it, after doing $300 worth of front damage (2002 prices) when the computer wouldn’t let me stop for a washout on a gravel road. After that the truck stopped much better on snow, especially. One day somebody looked right at me and pulled out when I was about 25 feet away. I’d have taken him right in the door with ABS, but it made me realize that if I’d hit him I would be at fault, because of the disconnected computer braking.

From several comments people have made I suspect that it’s more refined in a car than the brakes in a pickup. I often use the parking brake when running in 4wd if I’m on snow and need to stop before the computer thinks I should.
That is the one downside to ABS. You will stop a lot faster in those situations on ice or in snow/gravel if you can lock up the wheels, but the ABS prevents it. Drives me nutz at icy intersections in the winter where you can end up sliding right through at low speed while you can feel the ABS going nutso and the car just keeps going. I kind of wish they would disengage the systems below 5 or 10 mph automatically.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,622  
That is the one downside to ABS. You will stop a lot faster in those situations on ice or in snow/gravel if you can lock up the wheels, but the ABS prevents it. Drives me nutz at icy intersections in the winter where you can end up sliding right through at low speed while you can feel the ABS going nutso and the car just keeps going. I kind of wish they would disengage the systems below 5 or 10 mph automatically.
Release the quickly reapply the brakes and the ABS won't work. I have to do it all the time in semis. That stuff is dangerous on big trucks. Unfortunately the trailer brakes don't normally Release quickly enough but at least I have full tractor brakes. It works on cars and pickups too.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,623  
Release the quickly reapply the brakes and the ABS won't work. I have to do it all the time in semis. That stuff is dangerous on big trucks. Unfortunately the trailer brakes don't normally Release quickly enough but at least I have full tractor brakes. It works on cars and pickups too.
Friend of mine slid through a stop sign with his pickup. He was ranting about ABS saying the heavy jets he flew for a living had it and it worked perfectly on them !

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,624  
Friend of mine slid through a stop sign with his pickup. He was ranting about ABS saying the heavy jets he flew for a living had it and it worked perfectly on them !
Might have hit some gravel?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,625  
I know that at least Mitsubishi has been offering a similar feature on their L200 trucks since the 2016+ models. It's called Trailer Stability Assist (TSA). It won't apply the brakes for you but will control the trailer sway.

I'm sure other manufacturers have a similar feature.

View attachment 811183

Yes GM has done that since 2014 if you get the factory-installed brake control on the Silverado or Sierra.
When it detects sway and/or a panic stop, it will actually "pulse" the signal to the trailer brakes as needed. Kind of a "pseudo-ABS" since it can't pulse individual wheel locations; not as good as full ABS but definitely better than just locking up the brakes. Also when you engage Trailer Mode it changes how all the brakes react (along with a bunch of other things to help with trailering).

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,626  
Yes GM has done that since 2014 if you get the factory-installed brake control on the Silverado or Sierra.
When it detects sway and/or a panic stop, it will actually "pulse" the signal to the trailer brakes as needed. Kind of a "pseudo-ABS" since it can't pulse individual wheel locations; not as good as full ABS but definitely better than just locking up the brakes. Also when you engage Trailer Mode it changes how all the brakes react (along with a bunch of other things to help with trailering).
Hmmm. I wonder if Tesla's Trailer Mode also does this. Anyone know?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,627  
It DOES work perfectly on a cleared runway...

Actually it works perfect in every situation except braking in fresh snow on summer tires. Since i keep a set of winter tires with soft rubber and different thread for the odd week it snows here, ABS hasnt bothered me anymore when driving on fresh snow.
Last year i havent used them at all, and the year before i had them under for two weeks. Perhaps its time to use them up this winter before they dry rot...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,628  
It DOES work perfectly on a cleared runway...

Actually it works perfect in every situation except braking in fresh snow on summer tires. Since i keep a set of winter tires with soft rubber and different thread for the odd week it snows here, ABS hasnt bothered me anymore when driving on fresh snow.
Last year i havent used them at all, and the year before i had them under for two weeks. Perhaps its time to use them up this winter before they dry rot...
Is a mistake to make a general statement about the ability of ABS. Some manufacturers make excellent ABS which works in all conditions. Some make an ABS which only works on dry straight surfaces.

I remember about 25 years ago GM started putting rear wheel only ABS on pickup trucks to deal with the situation of braking with no load in the bed. "But it has ABS!"

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,629  
I remember about 25 years ago GM started putting rear wheel only ABS on pickup trucks to deal with the situation of braking with no load in the bed. "But it has ABS!"
Thats why the Merc Sprinter (and any other vehicle in the same weight class i have been around when i worked in body construction) has a load adjuster, which adjusts rear axle brake force to the load (spring deflection)

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,630  
What happened to the original thread ?