Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,581  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,582  
So my towing situation is:
-32.5 foot long RV as measured from hitch to bumper
-6,700 lbs dry, with a gross weight of 9,900 - probably towing it at about 8000 to 8500 lbs loaded
-Last time I checked the tongue weight (tanks full, returning from a camping trip) it was about 800 lbs
-I tow with a 1 ton Super duty with 8 foot bed using a weight distributing hitch.

I am hopeful that I never end up in a wagging trailer situation like those videos... But in the event one starts, what is the recomended process to stop it?

Something like:
1. Apply trailer brakes
2. Foot off gas to slow down
3. Apply truck brakes as it comes under control?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,583  
You’ve got plenty of truck, if something goes wrong it’s not because you have the wrong setup. A little more tongue weight would be ok though.

I think the way to correct is what you listed.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,584  
Yeah - I tried to set myself up with the right truck and hitch for the job so I hope to never be in one of those videos!

I would assume 1 and 2 should be done at the same time...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,585  
When in doubt put more weight up front in your camper. Experienced the death wobble as an older kid hauling leftover pavers in a tandem axle dump trailer pulling it with a f350 service truck. Young and lazy using a wheel barrow loaded up the back 1/3 of dump trailer. Fortunately I didn't panic (almost had to change my skivvies though) stopped on side of a 55mph highway and moved tons of those pavers forward problem solved. Ever since, from this experience, intentionally load trailers tongue heavy within reason.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,586  
Small camp trailer with high walls, weight 2k, no trailer brakes. 3500 lb AMC Eagle Wagon pulling it. Throttle seemed the only way to make it follow me after that gust tossed it enough to wag the back of the Eagle.

I assume braking would have jackknifed it.

Also just thinking about it, I don't see how an inertia brake activator at the hitch like they use in Europe would be effective in this situation.

Added: link to photos.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,588  
Small camp trailer with high walls, weight 2k, no trailer brakes. 3500 lb AMC Eagle Wagon pulling it. Throttle seemed the only way to make it follow me after that gust tossed it enough to wag the back of the Eagle.

Also just thinking about it, I don't see how an inertia brake activator at the hitch like they use in Europe would be effective in this situation.
What I call surge brakes?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #18,590  

Added: link to photos.
Braking a wagging/oscillating trailer with the tow vehicle increases probability of jack knifing.

Application of trailer brakes but not tow vehicle brakes can dampen the oscillation and allow one to safely stop. This is possible with the electrically controlled brakes and tow vehicle trailer brake controller commonly used in the USA. One is supposed to set the gain on the TBC by finding the point trailer wheels lock at 25 MPH. This differs for every trailer and every load.

Surge brakes (you'll find these on U-Haul trailers) apply when the trailer tongue is under compression from the tow vehicle slowing.