Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,551  
I don't think there is a right or wrong on loading direction. It all depends on the attachments and weight distribution. I find it convenient to load forward, but with my loader and box blade on I have to be as far forward as possible for tongue weight. John Deere recommends loading backward but that's in case the hood opens. I don't worry about that.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,552  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,553  
I know with some JD’s they worry about the hood opening and getting ripped off so they load backwards.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,555  
I often see tractors being pulled backwards on a dual-axle utility trailer, sometimes with attachments, some without. I’ve often wondered which is truly the best way.

I have a [AFFILIATE='1, nofollow=true, newwindow=true, title="Kubota"']Kubota[/AFFILIATE] with an FEL and a box blade (sometimes a rotary cutter which sticks off the back end of the 18’ trailer about one foot.

I’m not sure if I should be towing forwards and backwards and I don’t know how the weight is truly distributed when I do this.

Thoughts?

This is what I use. You should know the approximate weight of the trailer and load. I move it around until the tongue weight is between 10 and 15 percent. Then tie it down. No guesswork. I have 2 of them. I have 2 trucks and if we are using both to take 2 trailers somewhere we are both safe. Also I have 1 trailer with a 2" ball so one has normally got that ball in it. But I have 2 2 5/16 balls so I can switch that one. It works well. Sometimes I get a chance to get wood from jobsites so we take the flatbed behind the HD truck and the dump trailer behind the 1500. I can haul enough logs to make more than 4 cords of wood that way. Some species of wood have a cost to get them hauled off so the superintendent is willing to meet me or have an employee meet me on a Saturday to load it up. But they are not going to wait for me to make several trips. It doesn't take long to load it, so the more i can haul the more i get. The dump trailer has the 2" hitch. But we also go to Corvette shows and meet ups. I pull the RV behind the HD and she pulls the Vette on the tilt deck behind the 1500. They both need 2 5/16 balls. It only takes a minute to switch the ball in the ball mount. They also offer the same key for all locks. I have gone to their hitch locks coupler locks and pad locks. All take the same key. Really handy. And future lock purchases you just put your key number in the field and they match too.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,556  

This is what I use. You should know the approximate weight of the trailer and load. I move it around until the tongue weight is between 10 and 15 percent. Then tie it down. No guesswork.

I also do this. It works REALLY well.

I load my tractor "backwards" whenever possible. It prevents the hood and doors from being damaged if they are not latched correctly. Some of the glass cab doors are crazy expensive.

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,557  
I know with some JD’s they worry about the hood opening and getting ripped off so they load backwards.

I'd get around that by strapping the hood down with a bungee cord or two.

Since this is a thread about poor towing and hauling practices, here is my old 1025R ready to come home for the first time. I purchased it local, and only had to drive a short way; that doesn't make up for too small a trailer, and no tow straps. Foolish, but I drove it the 10 minutes at 20-25 miles an hour, with the hazards on.

It's not an experience I've ever repeated.

Snapchat-382925508.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,558  
It seems pretty likely that the load moved. My guess is that they took off a little briskly from the intersection and the load shifted rearward. I doubt whether that's where they positioned the load and started the drive. I think the better question is "how about properly securing the load". I'm betting the slabs are strapped to a carrier but the whole thing wasn't strapped down to the trailer. "It's heavy... it will say put." Oops...

This guy does a good job explaining the situation for this failure:
He neglects the camper overhang on the rear . Some people will slide 4 ft extension in the receiver to pull a boat ? Kevin .

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,559  
This guy does a good job explaining the situation for this failure:
That is a good explanation. I can't imagine a 4500 to 5000 lb dry weight camper, does someone make such a beast? I am backing off getting a 2800 lb dry weight camper for these reasons.

Dry Weight of an Eagle cap 811 is 3380 lb. I wonder if he intended to say gross.

Edit: HOLY CARP. An Eagle Cap 1160 is 4659 lbs dry. Model 1165 4917 lbs !!!

Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #17,560  
Yeah, some truck campers are just silly, they make some with 3 slide outs (mostly the ones with the door on the side like the one on that Dodge), they get dumb heavy and stupid expensive... my camper is around 2500lb dry I think, I like to stick to the 9' length range so towing works better, I've had a 11' camper with a 4' hitch extension and that's too much to tow comfortably...