Shallow well poor recovery rate

/ Shallow well poor recovery rate #11  
Though I haven't used it yet I bought a submersible 115 volt well pump from VEVOR for $100.00 delivered. It came with a cord that's 60 feet long. I think. I just don't remember, but it is plenty long. I think the pump is 1/2 HP. I have not used it yet but it is slated for use in a shallow well. The pump appears to be well built though and did have good reviews. It seems like you could take Valveman's advice and set up a floating pump for pretty cheap. Since your funds are limited I think this could work out for you. I guess those VEVOR pumps are popular because at their website most are sold out or out of stock. Anyway, here is a link to a 220 volt model thrice as powerful as the one I bought, $160.00 delivered: VEVOR Deep Well Submersible Pump, 1.5 hp 220V 50 Hz, Stainless Steel w/5 FT Cable Wire, 1.25" Water Outlet, 24 GPM & 390 Ft Head for Farmland Irrigation and Factories | VEVOR US
Eric

/ Shallow well poor recovery rate #12  
If the water is coming from the pond, might as well put the pump in the pond.
The way we normally build sleds as valveman described is a piece of 4" PVC with a 4" T on the end laid flat, short section of 4" pipe, 4" elbow pointed straight up with some sort of screen. Be careful how fine the screen is. A fine screen will filter out more stuff, but will plug. When the screen plugs, the pump will self destruct.

/ Shallow well poor recovery rate #13  
I know of others who have buried perforated well casings in lake and pond beds, using a layer of sand on top to do the filtration at a slow enough rate not to plug. Given the sunken path to your well, I wonder if the original builders might have done something similar in your original design. (E.g. a trench with some gravel in it going from the pond to your well that has slowly plugged over the years.)

All the best, Peter

/ Shallow well poor recovery rate #14  
Vevor, made in China. I run Red Jacket submersible pumps myself or Gorman-Rupp. Made in USA. Of course they cost more but you get what you pay for and they don't pump out rice either...

/ Shallow well poor recovery rate
Get some bags of bentonite. Make a small dam around where the trench will go and drain it dry. Start trenching and laying pipe. Once it's all in, then take out the small bentonite dam.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that

Do you know how deep the casing goes? Is it open ended with no screen (probably)? It's possible the sand level has built up to the point that it is impeding water from entering the well. You may need to pump/dredge/dig the sand out.
I'm not sure, but have thought that myself. Might have to go down in there and see

I know of others who have buried perforated well casings in lake and pond beds, using a layer of sand on top to do the filtration at a slow enough rate not to plug. Given the sunken path to your well, I wonder if the original builders might have done something similar in your original design. (E.g. a trench with some gravel in it going from the pond to your well that has slowly plugged over the years.)

All the best, Peter
Yeah, I'm thinking that was the original design as well. Might just have to be redone, it's probably 46 years old.

My final comment is, I'd be testing the water regularly for bacteria.
We get it tested every year. It's come back as safe both times so far, but we still have a separate water cooler for drinking water anyway

/ Shallow well poor recovery rate #17  
A buddy has a setup like that. A cistern a similar distance as yours next to a pond. He had a trench between the two filled with sand.

/ Shallow well poor recovery rate #18  
I'd never use a shallow well for drinking or house water because anything above ground like fertilizer or even animal droppings will get in your water supply and here, they are not legal anyway except for irrigation.
Never heard of them being illegal, I suppose it makes sense in an area where agricultural runoff would be a problem. Not a big ag area here, so not likely a problem.
My well is surrounded by forest, other than on the house side probably a half mile+ of woods on all sides.
I don't even need a pump...it sits high enough above the house so I get maybe 25 psi from gravity alone...good enough for anything I need to do...that was a big selling point when we bought the place. I'm guessing this well is better part of a century old. Best tasting water I've ever had.