Seller Beware

/ Seller Beware #21  
Definite scam. On Craigslist, cash is king. I do not accept checks or electronic payments of any kind. Too easy to for them to be recalled or cancelled.

/ Seller Beware #22  
SCAM

/ Seller Beware #23  
Banks checks are not 100% absolutely guaranteed funds. It is uncommon, but a bank CAN stop payment.

I knew a person who opened an account with a bank check only to be informed about a week later that the bank stopped payment of the bank check. L-O-N-G story, but the short version is the stop payment was deemed to be valid.

/ Seller Beware #25  
I got "took" once by cashier’s check. An item I sold was more than the buyer wanted to carry in cash (thanks to stupid civil forfeiture) so I agreed to accept a cashier's check drawn from a local bank. Sure enough, I got a cashier's check from a local bank for the correct amount.

About a week after the deposit, my bank told me the check was no good, it seems the check was stolen from the issuing bank by a member of the bank's cleaning crew.

I filed a police report, the detective on my case showed me a handful of pictures of criminals and I was able to identify the woman. She was charged and sentenced to a prison stretch, not her first time.

Fortunately for me, my house/property insurance covered the loss.

I've also been burned by a few bills of counterfeit currency bundled in with the cash payment.

So now I require either a direct deposit or Zelle transfer into an account I set up just for this. No more checks, cash, or PayPal. Scammers play on your greed, your anxiousness to sell.

What is a cashier's check?

/ Seller Beware #26  
Banks checks are not 100% absolutely guaranteed funds. It is uncommon, but a bank CAN stop payment.

I knew a person who opened an account with a bank check only to be informed about a week later that the bank stopped payment of the bank check. L-O-N-G story, but the short version is the stop payment was deemed to be valid.

I had this happen to me. I thought that a bank check meant that the bank had verified the funds and removed them from the buyer's account. I deposited the check and later found out that payment had been stopped. I was out the goods and a fee for the bad check.

/ Seller Beware #27  
If we took a check (a normal check) i think we'd deposit it and wait it out and keep whatever you sold untill the bank says its OK.

/ Seller Beware #28  
Dang, I'm glad I'm not dealing with many of you people.
I just bought a used tractor. I saw it on Facebook Marketplace. Contacted the seller,
went up and looked at it (2 1/2 hour drive) talked to the seller, looked it over drove it a bit went through the gears.
Took a couple of pictures including the serial number, drove home. Once I got home I looked up a bit of
information on that model and called about another tractor I was interested in. Thought about it for a
few days and then made an offer in a text message to the seller, he responded I considered for a day and made a final offer he accepted,
my offer included delivery. When they delivered the tractor I wrote out the check and he went home with the check.

/ Seller Beware #29  
I know checks can be stopped and phony, but if the person who comes out to look at your equipment gives a name address and phone number and it’s on his/her/whatever pronouns check, and the check is no good, doesn’t he/she go to jail for like grand larceny or something if it’s over a certain amount?

I know some people have been taken, but I’m beginning to wonder if the bad check stories are mostly (not all) “urban lore”?

/ Seller Beware #30  
Them going to jail doesn't necessarily equate to getting reimbursed for the theft. Even if there is court ordered restitution, the law seems to favor the criminal! (All bark and no bite)