scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #31  
Ok guys, I mowed today with my craftsman garden tractor, paid more attention to why it's a more pleasant experience than with the massey. Simple answer, w/o thinking I hover over the seat some on bumpy areas, with my legs acting as shock absorbers. The seat is lower on the garden tractor, which allows for that.
I just finished putting air seats on my Kubota MX and my Walker mower. The cost and the time to do the install was worth the end result and the extra cost to upgrade from mechanical to air. I just have to get used to sitting up a bit higher on the mower.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #32  
Agree with not having a MMM. I had a rear mount years ago and thought a MMM would be so much better but not so. I have a deere 3520 and unless there are just wide open spaces with limited trimming it is a long slow job to get done. I even have a cab and it's still to rough and to slow. ZT with a 5' deck cuts the time by 2/3's and is much more comfortable.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #33  
Zero turns are wonderful on level lawns. I got a yard, ok. Heavily sloped, with the path around the pond all dimpled with muskrat damage (which you could occasionally pop a foot through)...this ain't the scene for a zero turn.
I also use my SCUT - a Kubota BX1880 - to mow steep hills at our lake cabin. A ZT is the obvious choice for relatively flat areas, but I think would skid with me into the afterlife if I used one there, especially if the grass is moist.

Have been doing this 4 seasons with turf tires, so not in position to compare w/R1s or R4s, but the ride doesn't seem rough to me. On the steep hills I'm in 4wd/turtle mode, but in the flat area - more like a regular lawn - I do rabbit mode, no problem.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #34  
For my heavy work I have foam filled ag tires which could turn my kidneys to mush when mowing. Originally they were filled with liquid for doing our initial landscaping but when a sharp stump let the liquid escape I went to foam. They do have a tendency to tear up the turf when mowing though, especially when soggy. I also have a set of turf tires which I keep the air pressure down some to provide a more comfortable ride if I am in the mood to jostle those heavy ag tires around to change them.

I am currently looking at new tractors and think I might go with the R4 tires since they seem like a good mix and might not tear up the yard so much. I still have to use the backhoe now and again. Neighbor just bought a new tractor with R4s and they look like they might work for me.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #35  
To answer your question, I don't think swapping tires will have much impact, at least not in my experience (I currently have R4). Airing down tire pressure in the rear will have more impact. That, and getting a new seat with better springs (I hate the stock seat on GC's). Pretty much what everyone else is saying.
I personally mow about 6-7 acres with MANY trees, hills, ditchlines, pond, etc. Used to mow with a Cub, did a great job, but slow and uncomfortable over time,would have to split mowing over a couple days. Went from that to a front mount JD diesel with 72"deck, cut mowing time by a bunch but also uncomfortable. 5 years ago I bought a Ferris zturn with 61" deck and full suspension, and by far the best machine I have ever mowed with. Not only cut mowing time in half, with the suspension it is by far the best ride. 5 years later i have had to only do regular maintenance and replaced 2 belts. Expensive, but worth it to me. I use the GC for everything else.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #36  
I've mowed for 20+years with a JD GT235 GT . I just bought a JD 1023E with loader and MMM thinking could it could become my primary mower, but it rides worse than the GT. It has turf tires already. I mow around 3 acres a week and its gotten so I have to break it into 2 days so my back isn't killing me. I can mow fields for hours with my 55hp Deere with no problems. The little machines are rough. Fortunately the 1023E was steal so I think its getting sold and then I'll be looking at ZTs next year. Somebody needs to make a machine with an air ride seat.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14
Yeh, so like I said, the garden tractor is more comfy coz I'm riding it like a horse when going over bumps, with my legs acting as shock absorbers. Can't do that at all with the massey, coz I sit higher up on it. I would say ideal for me would probably be a stand-on, which I though had the same downsides on slopes as a zero turn.

But, yesterday I watched some youtubes of guys doing some big hills (way bigger than what I got) on a stand-on, and gotta say I was impressed. So hey, if anybody wanna gift me $9k for a Ferris Z2, I will only put up a minimal fight. :LOL:

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #38  
I have turf tires on my Kubota and it still rides bumpy. As stated by another here, removing the Front bucket does help some, but I have tried to lower the air pressure in the tires and it did not help much if any.

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #39  
I own a proturn 460 by Gravely and if you could use that seat on the massey you would love it. Air ride with suspension seat. Super comfortable. They do sell just the seat with suspension for about $900 but I have no idea if it can fit

/ scut ride comfort while mowing, R4 vs turf vs R14 #40  
A poster on another thread mentioned the geometry of the Massey compared to my Craftsman gt also has something to do with the ride difference. With the GC being bigger and heavier, obviously would affect how it handles over uneven terrain. Especially by where I used to keep my pigs. Sure wish I this Massey back then, I would have had an easier time repairing/grading dirt after I would move them to another spot. Anyways, I'm hoping to at least soften the ride somewhat.
My Massey has an air ride seat but it’s an 1835M. Maybe you can get a similar seat. We also use a 1736e open station with the standard seat and it’s a rough ride compared to the 1835M. I realize these are CUTS and not SCUTS so I’m not sure what’s available for your model.