Snow Scraping snow with the blower

/ Scraping snow with the blower #1  

smfcpacfp

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030HSDC
I didn't bother to mount my box scraper this winter as it lengthens the blower too much and make manuering more difficult with the added length. So today I was out scraping with the blower (i.e., get the front wheels off the ground and run on the edge of the blower). This scrapes and removes in one action. Unfortunately the steering leaves something to be desired. The picture below shows the results after 200" of snow so far this winter season:

full-driveway-2_4_09.jpg

/ Scraping snow with the blower #2  
I didn't bother to mount my box scraper this winter as it lengthens the blower too much and make manuering more difficult with the added length. So today I was out scraping with the blower (i.e., get the front wheels off the ground and run on the edge of the blower). This scrapes and removes in one action. Unfortunately the steering leaves something to be desired. The picture below shows the results after 200" of snow so far this winter season:

full-driveway-2_4_09.jpg

The driveway looks great as always! Would a small blade on the back stick out too much for maneuvering, or would it be about the same as the box blade? I have a 5 foot Woods blade on the back of my tractor with skid shoes on it and I push it backwards with the blade turned around so that it acts as a plow. The shoes keep it about a quarter inch off the ground and it does a nice job. I tried the blower scraping method, but experienced the same steering problem you did. Mine doesn't steer that great in the turns with the blower in float position, ha! Looks like you've got your share of snow? Dyer, retired

/ Scraping snow with the blower #3  
Nice job. I have the rear snowblower and to scrap down the drive I lenghten the toplink and it scraps to where it will dig right through the snow and ice and into the gravel if you aren't watching it. Works okay on the blacktop but still needs a litle added weight.

They just showed on my local news yesterday that Redfield,ny has gotten 310"+ for the season so far.
I would guesstimate that I have gotten 240"+ so far. It is hovering around the single digits and below right now but by this weekend it is suppose to be in the 40's. Still hoping we are going to get at least one more good blast before it all goes away.

/ Scraping snow with the blower #4  
I'm so jealous of you guys. Our biggist storm so far produced 4" up on our hill(Blue Mountain).:(

/ Scraping snow with the blower #5  
The town of Redfield NY just hit 310" of snow for this season, and it's far from over. It is in the Tug Hill Plateau which is known for big snow totals.

/ Scraping snow with the blower #6  
Ain't this hard on the blower?

full-driveway-2_4_09.jpg

/ Scraping snow with the blower #8  
My drive is half a mile long with a loop at the top and a pad at the bottom. ot changes several hundred feet of elevation over that length.

I use these to keep it snow free.

Attachments

• March 2008 009.jpg
    March 2008 009.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 146
  • March 2008 017.jpg
    March 2008 017.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Last snow March 2008 007.jpg
    Last snow March 2008 007.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 112
  • March 2008 015.jpg
    March 2008 015.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 135
   / Scraping snow with the blower #9  
Possibly, but I am just creeping along because it doesn't have any steering control. Hey I am retired so I usually have the time!

YouTube - Kubota B3030 snowblower in action

Steve now that you mentioned being retired, has anyone mentioned there are slightly warmer places with zero snow that you could visit? Not to worry we have the same problem (a lot less snow) as we summer in the adirondack mountains and winter over in New Hampshire. We credit it to "we don't know any better" Nice job with the snowblower by the way.

Wayne

/ Scraping snow with the blower
Steve now that you mentioned being retired, has anyone mentioned there are slightly warmer places with zero snow that you could visit? Not to worry we have the same problem (a lot less snow) as we summer in the adirondack mountains and winter over in New Hampshire. We credit it to "we don't know any better" Nice job with the snowblower by the way.

Wayne

First of all nothing at this stage in my life would get me to move from here, probably like you. I saw a post by a guy from Maine with an avatar which said, "Land with 4 seasons", and like Maine and NH, we have 4 distinct seasons.

My wife and I are scuba divers and we do travel a lot to warm places periodically in the winter. In November and December we dove on a 'live-aboard-scuba" diving ship at the Archipielago Revillagigedo in the Pacific Ocean and in December we were diving and vacationing on Barbados in the Carribean. In late February and March we will be going to Little Cayman Island in the Carribean for 10 days of diving. In December and January of 2007-8, we spent a month in the Fijian Island chain. It was very hot. To move permanently to a hot climate would be out of the question for us.

Here are two very short videos of white tip reef sharks and octopii that we saw at the Archipielago Revillagigedo. The stark change of weather is a lot of fun, but long plane flights to get there aren't.

YouTube - Two octopi Socorro Island

YouTube - White tip reef sharks