Scraper or Grading blade?

/ Scraper or Grading blade? #1  

YLee Kioti

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Hey fellas.....Sooooo.....getting ready to remove spoils and start bringing in top soil to build up elevation for home build next spring.
So as the title says, which one to get? Notice did not ask which is the best, silly right. It depends on the need.

So here is the sit-rep.
Have a 200 foot limestone drive , now with typical washboard. Have to build up about 4k sq. ft area for home build, slab.

County maintains our drainage so no need to clean out.
Future use, Have lots of ruts that will eventually have me out there dragging material and just reducing depths of ruts. Lots of huisache roots out there so will need scarifier teeth to deal with that, in the future.

For now, home build up of elevation, maintain drive and smooth out the remaining acre of erosion. Plan on starting low and dragging material up hill (well it's actually a gently slope) to smooth out the heavily eroded areas.
Guess, the bottom line is building a residential type 1.25 acre lawn.
Once house is built using a 6' cutter to shred will not be practical lol.
Was looking at the Rhino GS72.

Alrighty long winded enough, look forward to the excellent advice and the levity of quips.
See yah'll soon.:D

/ Scraper or Grading blade? #2  
I think you already know the answer. You need both. :laughing:

/ Scraper or Grading blade? #4  
Yes, I'd get the scrapper first and speaking from experience get a good one.

/ Scraper or Grading blade? #5  
Definitely - a box scraper first. AND the heaviest one that your tractor can handle. When dealing with land engagement implements - weight is your friend.

The land plane grading scraper - WILL NOT transport material. The box scraper definitely will. The LPGS is good for riffles, small pot holes and general overall smoothness.

You can, literally, move a mountain with a good, heavy box scraper.

/ Scraper or Grading blade?
Definitely - a box scraper first. AND the heaviest one that your tractor can handle. When dealing with land engagement implements - weight is your friend.

The land plane grading scraper - WILL NOT transport material. The box scraper definitely will. The LPGS is good for riffles, small pot holes and general overall smoothness.

You can, literally, move a mountain with a good, heavy box scraper.

A box scrapper seems to be the same term use for a land planer.
Unless you're using the term to describe a box blade. Of which I have a good 650 pounder to move material.

Once dirt get delivered, I'll use box blade with FEL to move material into the staked out area.
Then will work to level the foundation foot print. My neighbor is a blade man for the county so I go to him for advice. Told me how challenging using a BB is trying to grade and level out what I'm working on. Can be done he says, but well it's all about the skill set, and he personally would not use the BB.

If what you're calling a heavy box scraper is the single rear blade then I understand what you're speaking of.
Agree it will move the dirt. So here reveals my ignorance. A single blade grader pulled behind, will it also washboard out like a BB due to constant adjustments? If not why, not experienced enough to know how/why.
Thanks! I got a couple of weeks before I start so this is a big help.

/ Scraper or Grading blade? #8  
NO - a box blade and a land plane grading scraper are two completely different implements. Designed for completely different tasks.

/ Scraper or Grading blade?
NO - a box blade and a land plane grading scraper are two completely different implements. Designed for completely different tasks.

Yeah I got that, just did not know what you were referring to when you used the term: Definitely - a box scraper first.
See, didn't take much to confuse me, did it......heh...
So when you said: "The land plane grading scraper - WILL NOT transport material. The box scraper definitely will.", I thought it was the same item using two different terms and my mind went into the 70's alternate state mode....lol....

So were you talking about this: Utility Rear Blades | Rhino Ag

or

this: Grading Scraper | Rhino Ag

Thanks....

Last edited: