SAME Explorer 85 special 4wd

/ SAME Explorer 85 special 4wd #1  

mark in portugal

Silver Member
Tractor
same 85
I live in Portugal and have a 1985 SAME Mercury 85 special 4wd.
I doubt anyone on this forum has one; but if someone does, add a post here and I'll get a notification.

As far as I know there is no English language manuals for this model, however I've done quite a bit of work on mine and have been building up some knowhow.

The Alternator and starter are magneti marelli but are rebuildable with Bosch parts.

Note; this is really dumb, I put the wrong model name on the headline and now I can't change it!

Last edited:
   / SAME Explorer 85 special 4wd #2  
AGCO sold those same tractors built by SLH, under different name/numbers here in the USA, so there are several of them around here...

SR

/ SAME Explorer 85 special 4wd
Same Mercury 85 special 4wd, 1985;

I'm not actually looking for anything at the moment; I'd like to have spec sheets and any available tech manual.
[English preferred but I can read Dutch too]
I just repaired the starter motor and found that there are no numbers on it [which is odd]. Since it works again it doesn't really matter now, but if I had needed a replacement it would have been a real hassle.

It would be useful to know what parts are interchangeable with what other machines, as finding an identical parts donor is far less likely.
So far I haven't needed many model specific parts, but when I did have to order them they were VERY expensive [brake master cylinder kits for instance].

It would be nice to have contact with other owners to be able and share such info.

Thanks!

/ SAME Explorer 85 special 4wd #6  
PM me your email address. I have a pdf for parts breakdown for the 85. I don't have a service manual for 85, but I do have a pdf service manual for a Jaguar 95 which is very similar, just has 5 cylinders instead of 4 cylinders.

I searched again yesterday, and the SDF historic archive is now live. I was able to download a PDF service manual.
Unfortunately, it's made from scanned images, so is not searchable.
And it cost me 15 Euros.
It doesn't appear to be all that comprehensive, but it will be good to have if I ever need to get into the motor or hydraulics.
Actually, I've already been into the hydraulics a little...

Thanks, I'd be very thankful for the parts sheet.
PM to follow!

I thought a picture of the SAME Mercury would be in order; the loader is from a 1965 MF35, I made the rops and the hedge cutter in my home workshop.
And some other stuff not pictured.

Same Mercury 85 with MF loader and hedge cutter.jpg

/ SAME Explorer 85 special 4wd #9  
NICE tractor, I've seen Explorer models around here...

Here's my Vigneron 60,

standard.jpg

It's been a pretty good tractor,

SR

/ SAME Explorer 85 special 4wd #10  
Its an old post and not sure if you still have the SAME Mercury 85 but I have a SAME Mercury 75 and the alt. name that helped me find things was to use Centurion instead of Mercury. I have the service manual and owners manual for mine and I believe they say centurion on the service manual.