Safety chains

/ Safety chains #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
The hooks on my trailer safety chains with keepers are a real pain to hook to the tow vehicle. The keepers just get mangled. I was thinking of adding shackles to the hitch to attache the chains to. Does the WLL of each shackle need to be equal or greater than the GVWR of the trailer of the WLL of each one added together equal the GVWR? Is there a better solution than using shackles? Right now I have to get the hooks in just the right angle to properly hook onto the hitch but even then the keepers don't properly close. If the keepers do close it is almost impossible to open them back up to remove the hook.

/ Safety chains #2  
AS long as they are as strong as the safety chain or better, you are fine. They should not be the weakest link.

/ Safety chains
That makes sense and easy to do for the camper I just bought since the tags were still on the chains. They are 7000lb chains on a 3100lb camper. I think that might be overkill but that is better than under size. For my flatbed and horse trailer I bought used I have no idea what chain is on them so I want to make sure the shackles are at least what is required.