Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ?

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ?
Egon: Thank you for your reply. Can you send me a picture of a root rake or linkage to one? Thanks Again

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ?
Egon: Right after I asked you for a picture of a root rake I went to internet then e-bay and bought me a "debris hay manure brush rake" that clamps onto the bucket of my FEL and it should be delivered by next week. Would you believe my Ford 4400 FEL might have thrown a rod or valve today as I was yanking out the Russian Olives Brush. Does it ever fail...But on the good side I called a farmer/buddy of mine that I lent my D6 dozer to see if I could have it back for a while and he said: "I think so".
DocRocky...great weather for yanking weeds and putting the garden to sleep for the winter....

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #13  
15 years ago ( more or less) I bought 17 acres of pretty much flat tilled with a drainage ditch running thru. One border was a railroad track which was elevated about 5/6 feet above my grade. I had a sandy hill which I used to create my own berm paralleling the RR and planted a number of trees, evergreens etc to act as a shield. The county extension agent recommended planting Russian Olive to act as a quick cover as well as helping create a good wildlife support, etc. Boy do they grow, and intact they have invaded about 5 acres that I stopped tilling. At one time I controlled new growth using the bush hog, but then I got too busy on other projects and now they are in control. I tried bulldozing them but it did not get the roots and it leaves a grading mess. I just bought a special HD Shrub/Clump Grubber from NorthernTool and it works well on the larger clumps but I have to first try to push the roots first because my Ford 4400 FEL can't just pull it out directly. I hired a neighbor boy to do the chain wrapping and I do the tractor work. We are doing great but the smaller year or two saplings are too numerous to pull out root and all and my bush hog can't cut them down, 1" or less diameter. I must have 100s to work on. Is there any other way to rid them so that I get rid of the roots as well. I thought of plowing the smaller ones but it then leaves too much debris. The Olive are also filling in along the fence line and slowly creeping toward the tilling area. The drainage ditch has enough scrubs to continue the wildlife support, so don't get the idea that I am not sharing.
Any suggestions...realizing there never is a quick easy cure...learned years ago that no matter how hard you shine it, fecal material will never shine...

Check out the Dowagro web site. Here is how to treat stumps so they won't resprout.
Cut Stump

On this stuff, if you don't get all the roots, or just cut them off, they will sprout prolifically (10 stems instead of one).

For several very small stems in a "thicket"
Spray with a high-volume foliar spray (1/4% Forefront R & P + 1/2% Remedy Ultra (triclopyr) with 1/2% Methylated Seed Oil so the stuff soaks in. Wet the stuff next summer when it is in full leaf.

OR
D6 cat with a root rake and then use a foliar spray on what sprouts back.

For small diameter stems, you can use a basal bark spray, out of a small 2 quart sprayer. The solution is one fourth Remedy Ultra or Garlon 4 to three-fourths off-road diesel. A blue dye helps you to know where you sprayed.

For bigger trees, use the same percent solution as basal bark, but treat the stump right away after the base is cut with a chain saw.

HPIM0419.jpg

HPIM0420.jpg

Above, are some photos of Buckthorn eradication (another exotic species)

SC

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #14  
Another option is to plant Multi-flora rose and let it choke out the Russian Olive.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #15  
Another option is to plant Multi-flora rose and let it choke out the Russian Olive. then plant kudzu to choke out the multi-flora

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #16  
Another option is to plant Multi-flora rose and let it choke out the Russian Olive. then plant kudzu to choke out the multi-flora

It's good to know at least one person here has a sense of humor :laughing:

Extension agents also used to recommend multi-flora rose for hedgerows, etc..

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #18  
My farm is about 2 miles from Spruce Run Reservoir in NJ where they planted Russian olive trees in the 60's to attract wildlife. Now we have too many deer, too many geese and way too many olive trees. The previous owner of my farm ignored the trees and now they are encroaching on the hay fields.

I have been pushing them with the FEL to loosen the roots and soil and then wrapping a chain around the truck to pull them out. I then drag them to a pile where I can then cut the root ball off and chip the rest.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #19  
My farm is about 2 miles from Spruce Run Reservoir in NJ where they planted Russian olive trees in the 60's to attract wildlife. Now we have too many deer, too many geese and way too many olive trees. The previous owner of my farm ignored the trees and now they are encroaching on the hay fields.

I have been pushing them with the FEL to loosen the roots and soil and then wrapping a chain around the truck to pull them out. I then drag them to a pile where I can then cut the root ball off and chip the rest.

Here you go, guys. Instructions on chemical application to kill stumps, resprouts, etc.

Application Tips and Training - Making Applications

SC

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #20  
It's good to know at least one person here has a sense of humor

Had to laugh at the muti-flora, I took on 2 acres of it when we moved in. Cutting it every winter a bit by bit and burning it. Its finally been replanted with trees.
I wish there was a fast way to take out japanese knot weed, that is one big bane!