Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ?

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
15 years ago ( more or less) I bought 17 acres of pretty much flat tilled with a drainage ditch running thru. One border was a railroad track which was elevated about 5/6 feet above my grade. I had a sandy hill which I used to create my own berm paralleling the RR and planted a number of trees, evergreens etc to act as a shield. The county extension agent recommended planting Russian Olive to act as a quick cover as well as helping create a good wildlife support, etc. Boy do they grow, and intact they have invaded about 5 acres that I stopped tilling. At one time I controlled new growth using the bush hog, but then I got too busy on other projects and now they are in control. I tried bulldozing them but it did not get the roots and it leaves a grading mess. I just bought a special HD Shrub/Clump Grubber from NorthernTool and it works well on the larger clumps but I have to first try to push the roots first because my Ford 4400 FEL can't just pull it out directly. I hired a neighbor boy to do the chain wrapping and I do the tractor work. We are doing great but the smaller year or two saplings are too numerous to pull out root and all and my bush hog can't cut them down, 1" or less diameter. I must have 100s to work on. Is there any other way to rid them so that I get rid of the roots as well. I thought of plowing the smaller ones but it then leaves too much debris. The Olive are also filling in along the fence line and slowly creeping toward the tilling area. The drainage ditch has enough scrubs to continue the wildlife support, so don't get the idea that I am not sharing.
Any suggestions...realizing there never is a quick easy cure...learned years ago that no matter how hard you shine it, fecal material will never shine...

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #2  
The county extension agency might could give you some ideas.You'll either have to keep trying to remove them mechanically,spray with some sort of herbicide,or give up.I have the same problem with Chinese Privet around here.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #3  
I have a few plants that popped up under power lines. I hit them with the pruners and then spray them.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #4  
The bulldozer with a root rake on the blade should work.:thumbsup:

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #5  
Here is some good information - Autumn Olive Control | Missouri Department of Conservation

I'm in my second year of eradication and I'm finding that a combination of a ripper on my backhoe for larger trees and cutting smaller clumps, then applying herbicide to the stumps (as soon as I finish the cut) is working. I haven't been working at a fast enough pace and it is still on my project list.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #6  
That extension agent was wrong to reccomend those darn things. I think it has been classified as a invasive species for longer than 15 years. I know I have been fighting them for 20+. Basically, I simply mow the crap out of them. I tried spraying, but they came back the next year. If you mow them down for 3 years, them seem to die off. Very tough plants to get rid of. My neighbor has several acres absolutely taken over. He thought he could just spray something and it would kill them off. After several years of spraying, and several thousand dollars, they are still there. I think the only thing that they respect is a bush hog.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #7  
Here is some good information - Autumn Olive Control | Missouri Department of Conservation

I'm in my second year of eradication and I'm finding that a combination of a ripper on my backhoe for larger trees and cutting smaller clumps, then applying herbicide to the stumps (as soon as I finish the cut) is working. I haven't been working at a fast enough pace and it is still on my project list.

That's some good info. I am going to try that this spring, never did apply the spray to the stumps.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #8  
I have a dam that I have to maintain. The best way to keep trees and shrubs in control is ... cut AND paint the stump with Round-up. Generic works well too. A cup of Full strength and a paint brush goes a long way. One caution ... The Round-up doesn't work in the winter. The plant HAS to be actively growing for RU to kill the plant roots. Spring & summer is the best time. It's too bad the bees and flies are active too.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #9  
What! The local extension agent RECOMMENDED planting these blasted bushes!?!?!? Ugh, what a moron. Sorry, but these are some terrible plants. They have spread throughout my entire 19 acre property. Very invasive and fast growing. They are obviously non-native, sprouting early in spring and keeping their leaves well past every local species in the fall. They are choking out some standing of other small trees and shrubs.

And I agree with the other poster, the best way to handle them is with a brush hog or loader - just pop them out of the ground, roots and all.

/ Russian Olive Shrub Invasion/ Eradication ? #10  
Yep, we planted then many years ago for wildlife and borders upon recommendation and are still working to control them. We use a combination of rotary cutter, FEL. We had a person from the county office come out this summer to look at our reforestation and and will be doing root treatment this upcoming season in addition.