Rural Security

/ Rural Security #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I am in the process of updating my security lights, alarms etc. maybe some cameras.
I would like to have a motion sensor that warns the intruder before they break in.
My alarms will not sound until the door is knocked in.
I would like to have something that says "you are getting too close, back away".
I think it is too late once the damage is done.

I have some 12 year old "X10" security sensors and alarms that still work very well.
I can add to this system or I can try a complete new security system.

I may actually need 2 seperate systems, one for the house and one for the garage 300 feet away?
I want a system that works well when we are not here, (we travel).
I dont need anything when we are at home, I have sensors that tell me someone is on my property.
A Dog would work well if we stayed home.

What do you have that you like?
What system would you suggest me to look at?
Thanks in advance,
Sherpa

/ Rural Security #2  
I prefer large dogs in a fenced in yard. After being robbed twice where we used to live I still think that this the best prevention.

/ Rural Security #3  
I prefer large dogs in a fenced in yard. After being robbed twice where we used to live I still think that this the best prevention.
I agree. It is sound advice to train the dogs to not take food or water from anyone except Family members. Our two outside dogs were trained this way. You may have difficulty in believing this, but they won't even take Fillet Mignon if you threw it over the fence. Many dogs are poisoned to gain access to someone's home. Just a thought.

/ Rural Security #4  
On our first robbery the thieves blew the brains out of our Doberman while she was protecting the back door. They cleaned us out that day. On the second robbery attempt our two Dobermans ran the thieves off. All the stuff in my pole barn was stacked outside waiting for a truck to pick it up. But they couldn't deal with the Doberman's this last time. I feel better with the dogs when I am not home.

/ Rural Security #5  
I think your ideas are good ones for while you're not there but would also consider a dog. Too bead we have to think this way. I have a 6' fence around the portion of my property with the house and it sure keeps people well away from the house.

/ Rural Security #6  
Someone has to watch the house while I am away. Cameras are after the fact. Alarms, to me, are of no comfort. The police do not seem to be interested. The dogs are always there. Probably the only thing that I have found that seems to care when I am not home.

/ Rural Security #7  
Over the years having lost an 80hp tractor, trucks, a skid steer + other gear to thieves, it's a case of deterring & making your property not the preferred choice for thieves rather than prevention - the most determined thief will find a way but most like a quick quiet snatch & grab so anything you can do to add noise & time to the exercise will work in your favour.
Depending on the isolation of our sheds/farms we may use any/all of the following on our farms as deterrents:-
1. Sensor Lights installed/parallel activation with sonic flashing sonic beacon strobe lights on sheds roofs & screaming alarms
2. Motion detector/back to base alarms (ADT)
3. Beam alarms on an all entrances/gateways
4. Concealed CCTV wireless recording camera's (visible signs advising of their use & that the property is perimeter alarmed deters a lot of thieves)
5. Remove batteries from gear that is not being regularly used
6. Concealed battery isolation switches
7. Chains/industrial pin type padlocks on implemements. Always chain mutilple implements together with long lengths of chain doubled back so each implement has two chain lengths running through it & use multiple padlocks at intervals along the total length of chain - the more padlocks the better + thread large steel vehicle wheels & tin cans along the chain - this makes for one noisy/time consuming exercise for any thief....
8. Dynabolt small engine, gear & implements to concrete floors (some by using pivoting steel pipe bent to fit over the equipment & secured to the dynabolt by shielded padlocks)
9. Security integrated locking vertical bollards/horizonal bars
10. High tensile barb wire strained "gates" (sure you can cut it easily but at night under extreme tension it's going to hurt greatly bouncing around, works good on visible hay sheds close to roads)
11.Concealed low cost "tilt" scream alarms on individual "hand" transportable gear
12.If implements are only used seasonally we have on occasions welded them together with scrap/offcut steel
13. Park mobile wheeled gear like tractors, mowers, trucks etc further back from any access & behind implements
14. Installed remotely monitored GPS tracking & "geofencing" on very high value/portable/readily saleable mobile plant like earthmoving equipment
15. Very Big Guard dogs (min.3 as a pack"patrolling")
16. Generic Signage advising of back to base & perimeter alarms, camera monitoring, guard dogs ..etc - a neighbour who previously was robbed of major equipment three times in 2 years, has now installed a large sign at the farms entrance gate advisng "Thieves - Welcome & RIP, we'll do our best to provide a fast exit" the RIP is written on a stylised grave cross....a radical initiative, but this guy hasn't lost anything since putting up his sign c.3yrs ago...

/ Rural Security #8  
I have the strikemaster door jam pieces that prevent the door from being kicked in. I also have the 4 mil security film over all my windows.
You may want to check out the "burgler bomb".

/ Rural Security #9  
My grand parents use to own and run a power sports shop back in the early 80s. We kept getting broke in to, even with locks and alarms they would drive though the front of the show room. Then load up the truck and be gone by the time the cops got there. We got a very large very very very agressive Doberman. Never had a problem after that.

For my house, i have three dogs that live outside and i am a lite sleeper. Even a rabbit outside, i am awoke to it. Then i have 4 dogs in the house.

/ Rural Security #10  
My grand parents use to own and run a power sports shop back in the early 80s. We kept getting broke in to, even with locks and alarms they would drive though the front of the show room. Then load up the truck and be gone by the time the cops got there. We got a very large very very very agressive Doberman. Never had a problem after that.

For my house, i have three dogs that live outside and i am a lite sleeper. Even a rabbit outside, i am awoke to it. Then i have 4 dogs in the house.

Theives are stupid and easily fooled. A simple system as dogs barking (more than one dog) recording activated by sound amplified in your barn or at your house will keep anyone with a brain at bay. They don't know what is behind that door. Along with motion activated outdoor lights. The Pervs will book out. They will pick an easier target.