Running power to my barn, need electrical advice..

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #11  
You can’t do this by code if you want any 120v circuits. You don’t have a neutral.......

Most modern ovens would want 6/3. Are you sure you don’t have a neutral on that circuit?

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #12  
You can’t do this by code if you want any 120v circuits. You don’t have a neutral.......

Most modern ovens would want 6/3. Are you sure you don’t have a neutral on that circuit?

He can only hope. It may have been an old installation though. He can pull a new neutral off the buss in the main panel though, since he already has a ground that is all he has to do.

OP, are you planning on a full 240 vac panel in the barn or simply want 120 out there. If so, you can properly mark the second hot in the oven circuit and connect it to the neutral buss then run the properly sized wire to the barn - keep in mind that 120 vac needs larger wire than 240 vac so you would need 1AWG copper or 2/0AWG aluminum. Therefore, it will cost you considerably more to run a 120 vac sub panel to the barn than to install a neutral to the existing oven circuit (if necessary) or run a new line all the way from the breaker box to a sub-panel in the barn.

There are a number of good (and legal) ways to do it. If cost is the main determinate, I would abandon the oven's wires (unless they are on the barn side and they are 6/3 with ground and then I'd drop a sub panel there but all you are doing is saving the cost of a bit of wire), use the ovens well tested 60 amp breaker for the barn, run the proper sized wire to the barn, install a sub panel there I use care on grounding requirements) and let there be light.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #13  
electrician here. to be code compliant you would have to run a 4 conductor wire to shop. 2 hots, a neutral and a ground. You will also need to set a new ground rod at shop. the shop panel would need a separate ground buss and an isolated neutral.

that being said, if you want to run a non compliant circuit, i guess you could run that to a 30 amp, 240 panel in shop. have a 30 amp main breaker in the new panel and swap out the house breaker with a 30 amp breaker. add a ground rod at shop and keep ground and neutral on same buss. this is how it was done for 100 years. Mind you, if you sell the house you could be forced to fix this. By swapping the feed breaker to 30 amps, the wire will get you a good strong 30 amps at that distance. all the new wire would have to be #6 also. youll only have 30 amps, but it will o0perate a compressor, lights, outlets. not a welder though. A 110 volt mig would work fine.

for me personally. id run a new 4 wire circuit to main panel and do it the right way. id also use some 2/2/2/4 urd or xhhw alum feeder wires and run a 90 amp circuit out there. the trench is the most expensive and hard part of the whole thing. 2/2/2/4 urd direct burial runs about $1.40 per foot or less. you can even sleeve it thru conduit if you want more protection.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #14  
Do what you want but just be sure that the protection is correct for the wire gauge and that the grounds are in place as otherwise U might end up 6 ft under.
Wrong protection will simply blow breakers or fuses,
Bad grounding can put U 6 ft under.
U can't go wrong with grounds at both ends.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #15  
As a general rule the load should not exceed 80% of the breaker size.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice..
for me personally. id run a new 4 wire circuit to main panel and do it the right way. id also use some 2/2/2/4 urd or xhhw alum feeder wires and run a 90 amp circuit out there. the trench is the most expensive and hard part of the whole thing. 2/2/2/4 urd direct burial runs about $1.40 per foot or less.

I like the sound of this, it gives me more options and removes a future situation where I wonder "what was I thinking" LOL

I have to see what kind of access is left in the panel and what about capacity? On a 200 amp panel can I simply replace the 60 amp breaker with a 90 amp?

The insurance agent just told me I have to fence the pool in and add a handrail to the front steps nobody but the dog uses.

Just when I was thinking I was getting close.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice..
20180329_090549.jpg

I'm seeing a 30 amp future in the barn.. The bottom knockout has the buried service feed in it and the jumpers from the transfer switch are in the way anyhow. The top knockout is clear but I'd have to run the conduit up that high outside and it would look pretty shabby.

This is the outside view, standing on the parking pad. The panel is directly behind the flushed meter.

20180329_091537.jpg

For what I need 30 amps is fine. If I ever want to weld I think I will just have to get something self powered, no plans anyhow.

The trenching should be a real party, I have to cross the pool infrastructure. I see hand digging that part.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #18  
I like the sound of this, it gives me more options and removes a future situation where I wonder "what was I thinking" LOL

I have to see what kind of access is left in the panel and what about capacity? On a 200 amp panel can I simply replace the 60 amp breaker with a 90 amp?

The insurance agent just told me I have to fence the pool in and add a handrail to the front steps nobody but the dog uses.

Just when I was thinking I was getting close.
dont know what brand panel you have, but most will allow a simple swap for a 2 pole breaker up to 125 amps. Some older style paneks might be hard to find breakers fir

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #19  
View attachment 546153

I'm seeing a 30 amp future in the barn.. The bottom knockout has the buried service feed in it and the jumpers from the transfer switch are in the way anyhow. The top knockout is clear but I'd have to run the conduit up that high outside and it would look pretty shabby.

This is the outside view, standing on the parking pad. The panel is directly behind the flushed meter.

View attachment 546154

For what I need 30 amps is fine. If I ever want to weld I think I will just have to get something self powered, no plans anyhow.

The trenching should be a real party, I have to cross the pool infrastructure. I see hand digging that part.
that panel is packed. You must have electric heat units throughout house. It might be hard pressed to get 90 amps out of this panel. I think your right on sticking to 30 amps. If you had a full shop, id think about getting another separate service installed for the shop, but seeing as its just lights and a few hand tools... 30 is goid enuf.
By the way.. what sized generator are you using.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #20  
So far so good but would never ever recommend aluminum conductors. There will be a need to care for those connections to keep them tight., Anti-corrosion coating.
It would may be better in the long run to install a 100 amp panel. It should about 8 circuits for you.
Run the #4 awg copper cable (within conduit or not) and be set for a 120/220 source at the panel and be done.
Because, one's original plan are only warrantied until the moment it is completed. Immediately after that one moment in time, murphy's law says:
Hmm, air compressor would be handy here, hey a welder would come in handy, see the path here. Which would indicate one size large for a safe margin of safety if cost is not prohibitive for you.
So be safe, use correct gauge and insulation rated conductor for underground install.
Ground at barn be set for 120/220 vac and you set for unforeseen need and growth at least a few years.