Running power to my barn, need electrical advice..

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
I have a 60 amp circuit that used to go to the oven but I changed it out to a new propane model.

I'd like to use this for my run to the barn if it is suitable. The wire is 6/2 with ground.

Otherwise I'll have to expose some conduit from the breaker box that I'd rather not have to do (for esthetic reasons).

The barn will just have duplex outlets and 4 - 4' LED lights.

is the 6/2 OK to run to the sub panel in the barn?

The length of wire (if I tap into the old oven circuit) would be 189 feet, from start to finish. If I run a wire directly from the main panel to the barn it would be 160 feet or slightly less.

I was wondering if I put a ground rod just outside the wall of the sub panel it might pass muster.

Please don't tell me something I don't want to hear :laughing:

Kidding aside, I don't shoot messengers!

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #2  
I think your run is a little too long. 6 gage for 60amps is a maximum of about 10 feet. You can go further but you’re going to start getting voltage loss. Either way you’re no where near the run that you want. I think you’d be better off swapping out the breaker for 20 or 30 amps to limit the load to something within spec.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #4  
The wire size calculator says you need #4 copper or #3 aluminum for that run.
Wire size calculator

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #5  
For running 4 LED lights and if you don't overload your receptacles I think it would be fine but if you wanted to use a true 60 amps you better upgrade.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #6  
I assume you're running new wire to the barn. If you want to keep the 60 amp breaker, tap into the circuit and run a #4 AWG to the barn. The existing first 20' of #6 AWG in the circuit won't hurt your voltage drop. Or if you run direct from the panel (and want to keep the 60 amp breaker), use #4 awg all the way.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #7  
I am not an electrician. This is just my experience. YMMV.

This is similar to what I did to my barn several years ago. I ended up running #4 THHN-THWN cable in conduit (1 white, 1 black and 1 #8 Green) out to the sub-panel in the garage off of a 240V 60-amp breaker in the main panel in the house.

Is your 6/2 wire rated for underground feeder (UF-B)? if not, you'll need to run it in conduit out to the barn. In any case, as marchanna points out 6AWG is too small to run 180 feet at any amperage for a 120 V circuit.

The Oven breaker is probably a 240 V breaker, however - in which case the 6/2 will get you out to as much as 188 ft with the max 3% voltage drop

Proper Wire Size for Underground Circuit Cable

You'll also want to check electrical codes concerning the need for a ground rod out at the barn.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #8  
If all you want to do is have a few outlets and some lights, then you don't need anywhere near 60 amps.

Ideally, you need to come up with a load chart that lists what you will be using in your shop. Do you have any big power tools? Air compressor? welder?

a 20 amp outlet will hand a small air compressor, but it should be on a dedicated line without anything else sharing it.

Lights don't need very much power and a 15 amp breaker should handle them.

another 20 amp outlet will handle most power tools, especially since you usually only run one power tool at a time.

You should be fine with 40 amps.

If you really want 60 amps, you need to size the wire from your breaker and the distance accordingly.

Can you remove the existing wire to the breaker and run a larger wire through the existing conduit? If not, then you're only real choice is to live with 40 amps.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #9  
Because voltage drop is controlling, you can still run the existing 6/2 to a junction box where the heavier wire is spliced in. You would need to add a neutral and ground because the barn would be a subpanel.

/ Running power to my barn, need electrical advice.. #10  
Nothing wrong with your plan. Just keep voltage drop in mind if actually needing 60A. If you don't need that much power go for it and just use #6 with 60A breaker.