Ruining my hayfields

/ Ruining my hayfields #1  

Surgeon

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1428
I am trying to reclaim my hayfields. The conservation agent wants the fields mowed frequently to help dry them out and keep the weeds form going to seed. My problem is that the fields are boggy. Because of the Vermont mud season I never can get an early start mowing and then because the grass is long the fields do not dry out till August by which time all sorts of things have gone to seed. My problem is this: I can get through the fields to mow but I rut them significantly. I have a MF 1428 with a 5ft woods bushog on the back. My tires are Front: R4 25 x 8.50-14 Rear: R4 12.5/80-18. I want something higher flotation or in duals but cannot find either for this size tractor. I have no problem buying new rims and tires but cannot find them to buy. Anyone have any thoughts?

/ Ruining my hayfields #2  
I'd ask the conservation guy how he wants you to mow wet fields without doing a lot of damage. He's the one who wants them mowed so lay the solution on him.

/ Ruining my hayfields #3  
The old-fashioned way is still probably the best - burn the field. Kills weeds (and bugs), stimulates the grasses, and enriches the soil. Not to mention drying it out...........:cool:

/ Ruining my hayfields #4  
A couple years, when the hay fields were just too wet to put equipment on them, I hitched up the team. The wheels still sink a little, but my #9 mower only weighs 500lb - add another 250 for me = less damage. The hoof prints aren't too bad either. There was some wisdom in the old ways.

I have since put in drainage tiles. Still use the Roans some though.

Today some of us have a choice. Some days I want to drive a tractor. Some days, I choose to go it a bit slower. Not having to make a living at it, I have the luxury of choice. There may be a teamster in your area willing to help out.

Besides, the horses are the reason I need the hay, which is why I need the land, which is why I need the tractors in the first place.

Your other choice would be lighter equipment. Most wheeled equipment will compact wet soil unacceptably though.
Bob

/ Ruining my hayfields #6  
Burning the fields will promote weeds, works great for blueberries but not for hay fields.

Dual wheel set-ups can be bought at Gemplers.

Any chance you can do a drainage ditch across the field to allow for better drainage? A single bottom plow run a couple times in the lowest part to a drain area may at least help.

/ Ruining my hayfields #7  
Where I come originally up in Canada, it's always wet in the spring on the hay fields. The big problem isn't flotation of your tires it's the suction caused by the R4 tires in the mud. Ag. tires are better than R4's in the application you're talking about for this very reason. Because they are thinner they tend to get stuck due to the suction effect and they have deaper lugs to promote better traction in the mud.
You might want to consult an Ag. tire dealer and check this out.
Good luck with your haying. Incidently, I'm doing the same thing right now here in East Texas.....and got my tractor stuck up to the door bottom the other day. It took a big backhoe to get me out.

Cheers.
Glenn.

/ Ruining my hayfields #8  
Where are you at? My PT1850 has duals and a very low ground impact. If you are close, i can bush hog the field for you.

Ken

/ Ruining my hayfields #9  
NH is similar to here, wet fields need drain tile. Don't know any other way. You can mow a bit and it will help but how are you gonna hay it?

/ Ruining my hayfields #10  
Is the area that you want to mow sloped at all. Or is there a low spot? Maybe you can get in there with a backhoe or boxblade and trench out a ditch that is deep enough to help drain out some of that water.. You would need a place for the water to run off to. Or build yourself a little retaining pond.