Round Bale Weights?

/ Round Bale Weights? #21  
On bale weight, I have a JD 375. 5' long x 4' diameter bale maker. I was making sloppy bales and thanks to a comment by Tx, Jim, I installed a pressure gauge monitoring my bale forming cylinder and it was only registering around 1000#. I replaced the pressure regulator valve which forced the baling pressure back up to 3000# OEM spec. and it really made a difference in bale quality and weight.

A lot goes into a bale of hay and my opinion is if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, have the bales weighed. Otherwise buy by the "convenient" method of "by the bale" and take your chances. Around here scales are few and far. Bale count is the common denominator.

Course you have no idea as to what you are buying as to nutrients, etc.....even if you grow your own, unless you are a BTO who counts (has to count) every penny in and out, you don't bother.

/ Round Bale Weights? #22  
far as bale diameter is concerned, a tape measure is always your friend............ just say'in.

/ Round Bale Weights? #23  
far as bale diameter is concerned, a tape measure is always your friend............ just say'in.
All other things being equal I agree....butttttt being equal is the problem in my opinion. Course this past year, with the long drought we had, getting any hay was the task, regardless of the size/price.

/ Round Bale Weights? #24  
All other things being equal I agree....butttttt being equal is the problem in my opinion. Course this past year, with the long drought we had, getting any hay was the task, regardless of the size/price.
Not an issue here at all. If anything, rain events were too close together.

/ Round Bale Weights? #25  
Not an issue here at all. If anything, rain events were too close together.
That event, especially in the spring trying to get Rye grass baled, drove me to depend on a tedder. Money well spent but still a tricky operation. I can't imagine what a farmer goes through in Northern States in an attempt to accomplish the above.

/ Round Bale Weights? #26  
That event, especially in the spring trying to get Rye grass baled, drove me to depend on a tedder. Money well spent but still a tricky operation. I can't imagine what a farmer goes through in Northern States in an attempt to accomplish the above.
That don't work for me (even though I do own a tedder that just sits most of the time). Alfalfa hay is not conducive to tedding because the more you 'agitate' it, for lack of a better word, the more leaf loss you get and with alfalfa hay, it's all in the leaves, not the stems.

Why I rake with a Kuhn Masterdrive rotary rake. The Kuhn produces a fluffy windrow that allows the ambient air to move through it and dry the forage pretty quickly.

The anxiety of first cut for me is always high and I constantly watch the long range weather reports, nit that they are all that accurate in the first place. Always a crapshoot. I equate weather forecasters to politicians actually. They can be totally wrong and still be right.

/ Round Bale Weights? #27  
Touching back on bale weights, with my new round baler, I can actually control the compression of a round bale from the tractor seat via the bailer computer so I can set the compression, any way I want it as well as the formed bale weight. I prefer running a soft centered bale (so I can handle it easily) but once the center is formed, I prefer a tight, dense wrap for overall weight and so does my customer. I believe in giving him the best bang for his buck, always and when netting, the tighter the wrap is, the better the bale (netted) sheds water and he stores the majority of them outside.

With fuel and input costs what they are this year, I suspect bulk hay prices will rise appreciably. It's going to cost substantially more to make hay this year than it did last year. Viscious circle.

/ Round Bale Weights? #28  
Mark & Jim,
Was in your beautiful state 3 weeks ago. Loved it.
I noticed quite a few round bales out in fields between Austin, Dallas & Waco.
Y’all still short on hay?

I swear you could drop my family in Texas and in 6 months we’d be loving it.

/ Round Bale Weights? #29  
Hay Dude
Yes hay is still in short supply in Texas. Feed stores & other people are selling rd bales for $150-$160. I held my prices down well below that level due my hay has mixed grasses. Although I owned horses for over 40 yrs & my daughters horses eat my hay I dislike dealing with the majority of horse owners therefore I don't attempt to raise hay that's 100% Coastal Bermuda. I sold a local young couple in the beef embryo transplant & show calf business nearly 100 rd bales this Winter. I'll bet your family wouldn't enjoy Texas this July & August when it's normally very hot & humid.

/ Round Bale Weights? #30  
With fuel and input costs what they are this year, I suspect bulk hay prices will rise appreciably. It's going to cost substantially more to make hay this year than it did last year. Viscious circle.
Im at a loss here. Net wrap and twine is at last years price, fuel is down $1.35. Fertilizer is still at stupid price , but tweaked our desires and made it work. Going old school on a 20 acre piece this month with liquid manure from a neighbors cows. Chicken litter is relatively easy to get but the horses don’t seem to like hay grown that way. Some of the other hay guys in the area are relying on class a and b sludge.