rototillers vs plow & disc

/ rototillers vs plow & disc #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
I move slower with rototillers, but move faster with a plow & disc. But I make multiple passes with plow & disc. Right now my rototiller tractor is a dedicated machine, I was thinking of getting a 3pt rototiller. I do about 1 acre in one field and 2 ½acre fields. I can run plow and disc with 3 different machines. What is the fuel compared between the two? I feel like hte rototiller has better soil mix, but how big of a difference is that in yield? I do corn in 1 acre, and the others are just various. Not large scale stuff.

Is the improvement in soil mix/quality much for rototiller, vs the plow and disc to justify the increased fuel?

/ rototillers vs plow & disc #2  
running a tiller (at pto speed) is not harder on fuel than running a bush hog. Buying a good tiller is scarier than the fuel to run it.

/ rototillers vs plow & disc #3  
I have clay loam, so I really appreciate the one pass to create a good seed bed. The tiller makes a very fine and uniform bed to plant seed in.
I travel slower, but fewer passes, maybe 1.5 gallons per acre.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / rototillers vs plow & disc #4  
Those are 3 different implements for 3 completely different purposes. I run all 3 every year. I don't run a turn plow but have replaced that with a chisel plow.

/ rototillers vs plow & disc #5  
What type of soil conditions are you working in? If plow is working correctly one pass with disc should level the field for planting unless breaking up sod. To work correctly a mold board plow and disc should be pulled around 4 - 5 MPH.

Last edited:
   / rototillers vs plow & disc #6  
I have all of the above;tiller after plowing works the best for me;also levels the ground.we do about 10 acres a year(21 years).We also cultipack after planting.

/ rototillers vs plow & disc
This is all red clay. My tilling tractor is a 14hp new holland s14 gas. I till at about 0.5mph, and occasionally slower. I pull a 14-2 bottom plow with either my kubota or ferguson. If I got a 3pt tiller I'd put it on the kubota which is diesel and gets better fuel economy than the gas. Also I'd be hoping I could move faster than the new holland.

From year to year, the soil manages to completely compact. I was thinking a tiller may be easier. The big field is corn and after I collect, hand picking, I leave the stalks and just turn over everything in the spring and then disc it.

/ rototillers vs plow & disc #8  
In my opinion, a plow/tiller combination is best for garden plots used repeatedly. A tiller provides the best fluffy soil seed bed, but overtime a hard pan will develop in the soil just below the tilling depth. I have a Fred Cain ripper plow that I use in the fall and spring to loosen the soil deeply, then follow up with the tiller before planting.

/ rototillers vs plow & disc #9  
This is all red clay. My tilling tractor is a 14hp new holland s14 gas. I till at about 0.5mph, and occasionally slower. I pull a 14-2 bottom plow with either my kubota or ferguson. If I got a 3pt tiller I'd put it on the kubota which is diesel and gets better fuel economy than the gas. Also I'd be hoping I could move faster than the new holland.

From year to year, the soil manages to completely compact. I was thinking a tiller may be easier. The big field is corn and after I collect, hand picking, I leave the stalks and just turn over everything in the spring and then disc it.
I was in the same boat with clay and compaction until I added an enormous amount of compost and lime. I've added so much compost to my garden that it's now a raised bed and the soil is like potting soil, (black, crumbly and well drained). It took years to get to this condition.

/ rototillers vs plow & disc #10  
Another thing we do is bush-hog down any standing food plots before working.