Rototillers for beginners

/ Rototillers for beginners #1  

Torvy

Tractor
TYM T574H
So I have a lot of time behind a self-propelled tiller. I am looking into a PTO tiller for my future tractor. Tractor will be in the 30-50 HP range. Tiller will be 4-6 ft, I think.

Chain drive or gear drive? Reverse action or regular? Anything else I need to consider? Brands?

Thanks in advance!

/ Rototillers for beginners #2  
Get a tiller that is a little wider than your rear tire track -- that's the most important criterion. When you decide on the future tractor, you can define that requirement.

I like gear drive but they all work great. I've used Kubota, Befco, Woods, and King Kutter. Frankly, I think the 15 year old King Kutter 5' tiller that I have beats everything that I've ever used. Between me and neighbors, it tills several acres every year. Will turn sod into powder in a couple passes when the ground is right.

/ Rototillers for beginners
So, most likely wider than I was thinking. I was just going to offset it to one side...is that a bad idea?

/ Rototillers for beginners #4  
There are also some Italian companies in the tiller business making pretty nice products. Had one of those for years that was trouble free.

Coming from the walk-behind type tillers, you'll be shocked at how much area you can work in so lttle time. Brace yourself for one huge garden if that's your thing! I had a 72" tiller and thought it was total overkill for our modest needs.

It was chain drive, standard rotation, my 46 hp tractor never really knew it was there.

You probably already know fence wire, roots and rocks are the curses of any tiller

/ Rototillers for beginners #5  
Well, you mentioned a "4' - 6' tiller". A 6' tiller will cover the rear tire track of a pretty good size tractor. I have a 5' behind a B series 30 HP tractor and it's perfect.

You'll leave serious tire tracks in fresh tilled dirt. Better to center the tiller and cover the tire tracks on every pass rather than offset a smaller tiller and try to always keep one wheel out of the freshly tilled dirt. Don't think you'll be able to navigate that and every additional pass will create another rut that you have to clean up.

I'd say that a 5' or 6' tiller is still probably about right. Just suggesting that you decide after you pick your tractor. I seriously doubt that you'll need or want anything bigger.

Last edited:
   / Rototillers for beginners #6  
Mine is an LS branded Taylor Pittsburgh 60". It sets off to the right side by a few inches to cover the right wheel track.

923-series-subcompact-tiller.jpg

/ Rototillers for beginners
I checked the master spreadsheet...The widest is an LS mt355e at just under 75". Wider is better for stability, but may make it tough in the trees. I don't know that it would do well with a 76" tiller...I've seen a 74"...may have to go a full 7'. That's why I am looking into implements before I decide. Your advice is helping me narrow my very large list. The TYM 574 has about the same power and weight but is 10 inches narrower.

/ Rototillers for beginners #8  
I have a 5' King Kutter gear drive tiller. Love it. It is a beast and tills everything I have run it on. Used it for creating several vegetable gardens, leveling the yard around an above ground pool and preparing it for grass seed. Has a slip clutch so no sheer pins to worry about. I highly recommend it.

/ Rototillers for beginners #9  
I want a County Line, giving me the option of a reverse rotation or forward. Reverse will till better and leave a smoother finish. The tiller pulls against the tractor and sucks itself down into the dirt.

Forward rotation is better if you hit a rock or something. It'll jump up over the obstacle. Forward will try to push the tractor, and it won't give as nice a finished surface behind the tiller.

I plan to till some unknown ground, and my tractor is low on PTO horsepower, so I think I'm going to set mine up for forward rotation. So the tractor isn't straining to pull against the tiller and using HP to turn the tiller.

/ Rototillers for beginners #10  
Working new ground that has been undisturbed for any length of time is no different than with a walk behind tiller....they will only penetrate so deep...
...Depending on the type of soil a till can loosen a thin layer of cultivated earth on top of a hard pan...
A turn plow or deep scarifiers prior to tilling can help prevent this...