rototiller

/ rototiller #1  

dummy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 1220, John Deere 770, Case 580E and Allmand TLB-35
I am seriously considering a "grey market" rototiller. I'll use it enough to put it out of the rental category, but not enough to justify 1300 or more for new. I know alot of "grey" tillers re out there. Would appreciate positive or negative comments.

/ rototiller #2  
What have you got to choose from? Are they ex rice paddy?

I have a KF Kubota which I have had since new. Purchased 1970 so it is getting quite old. The belts are not covered so it does not meet current occ health and safety reqs.
Never had any problem except breaking a gear box shaft - hit bricks and had clutch and belts to tight.

/ rototiller
My choices are a Yanmar or a mitsubihi. Dealer is being very responsive to all of my inquiries. Guess I'm a little leery that they get all of the parts off of other used ones. Might be nice to start off with a new set of tines, but once through the garden and they would used too, right? Not sure about the ex rice paddy part.

/ rototiller #4  
I have a Yanmar tiller and its very nice. Heavy duty, more depth control option than one would ever needed. About the only issue to watch is how it attaches. Some Yanmar tillers are 2 pt mounts, some are 3pt mounts. My tiller is attached to my YM1810 yanmar so things fit well. One issue you might have depending on what you attaching to is shaft legnth. The yanmar tillers tend to fit pretty close to the tractor. On a larger US tractor you might have to get a new pto shaft and cut to meet you size needs.

Gary.