Rotella T4 vs T6

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #41  
I don't get it. Is there some magic to Rotella Synth? Additives? The neighbor said so?

I run MobileOne in EVERYTHING except 2 cycles. Diesel or gas. From ATV/UTV to the splitter to the generators, etc and the big 'ol 410j. They love it. And me too. In fact I only buy 5w30 for all of it. Only the 40+ year old Kubuta engine gets 10w30 in the summer then to 5w30. Clean inside everything too, that I can see, from the top. But I've not had to go into anything. Only in the gearbox of the Kubota did I bite the bullet and buy 1 jug of Amsoil Hyd/Ger oil at $75 per gallon. The rest of the fill was 1.5g of leftover fresh Mobile1 of weights I don't use anymore. It went from noisy to only slightly noisy.

$20-$25 bucks a jug for Mobile1. I double the change time on everything. If the lube looks darker than before 2x I am suspect. And the Synth drain oil from gas engines is WONDERFUL bar and chain lube to thin stuff out in the winter.

My first step if something weird is to change the filter and to off. Check oil color ongoing. Filters are interesting and they can change your whole view of things. Have you ever busted open a filter and looked? Ever send oil samples for analysis? Just a few times on a few units will tell you. For a few bucks, when the analysis comes back good, wonderful or not. Do you have a place to submit a sample?

To me, all these wars on oils are crazy. Synthetic wins. The use is important like a gear box/hyd vs engine oil. But you watch it - engine, box and hydraulics it will save you bunches. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY $75/g engine oil.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #42  
I don't get it. Is there some magic to Rotella Synth? Additives? The neighbor said so? Jrh02

Good point. Am considering Mobil 1 as well for T6 alternative. What 5/40 Mobil diesel rated oil catches your attention? Not into snake oil additives, want a good solid base oil more avail than T6
think there are a few choices, thx

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #43  
T6 is full synthetic. T4 is conventional. T5 is semi synthetic.

I switched to Valvoline Blue full synthetic 5W40 in my truck & tractor and like it. I've always used Valvoline in all my other non-diesel apps & it's always been excellent. I feel like Shell kinda dumped on all us regular guys when they were only selling to fleets and we couldn't get it.
I did the same. And Valvoline is the only diesel oil endorsed by Cummins.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #44  
Oil test results, in a LONG page. I haven't built an engine yet so I can't verify the results, but I changed my gas pickups to his top oil choice. There is a lot of tech and opinion. MOTOR OIL ENGINEERING TEST DATA

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #45  
I always add a bottle of zink additive to my diesels and older (non-roller cam) engines.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #46  
I’m not comfortable playing Mr. Chemist. If you need oil with extra ZDDP, the best procedure is to use oil that already contains the additive mixed in the proper dosage.

Too much ZDDP can do almost as much harm than not enough.

High levels of ZDDP can begin clogging the lubricant-carrying crevices in the cylinder wall, which can then cause the engine to burn oil…and because ZDDP is acidic it will shorten the oil change interval.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #47  
I recently bought three gallons, @ Amazon. I looked up Shell's rebate site, and it appears Amazon is not a "participating retailer", so not eligible. :(
That's why you have to read the rebate. FYI tractor supply hasn't been on there approved vendor list for a few years.

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #48  
Im still having a hard time finding 5w40 T6 around here. Seems when them blue jug t6 oils started coming back in stock, they were all 15w40. And at that point, I begin to question whether the t6 in 15w40 is worth the extra money over the T4

I didn't even know they made T6 in 15w-40,
the only T6 I see around here is 5W-40.

If they made T4 in 5w-40, I'd run that in the winter instead of T6 I run now

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #49  

Huh? Why wouldn’t you want synthetic oil for winter use?

/ Rotella T4 vs T6 #50  

Huh? Why wouldn’t you want synthetic oil for winter use?

Oil viscosity is my main concern for easier starting in the cold weather.
Synthetic is better, but good ole dino oil is just fine too. Rarely do I buy synthetic oils