Rotary Cutter Gut Check

/ Rotary Cutter Gut Check #1  

Panik

Gold Member
NW Ga - somewhere near that time zone thingy
Tractor
Kubota bx2360
Good morning. I've been doing a bit of research over the last couple of days into purchasing a 4' rotary cutter to run behind my BX2360. The main usage would be heading up to the family vacation property and clearing out the trash in between the pine trees in order to keep the area immediate around the house manageable. Basically that would involve running through (backing through) blackberrys, small maple saplings, grass, small pine limbs etc. The property is lightly sloped and I would be keeping the FEL on for balance. Basically within an hours drive from where I live I have access to almost all of the well known mfgs. Below are the price differences

Brush Hog BH14 - 1150.00
Landpride RCR1248 - 950.00
Mahindra/Kodiak - 1000.00
Woods - 995.00
Tenessee River Implements - 895.00
Taylor Way/KK - 795.00
Big Bee - 750.00
LMC - 750

As far as I can remember from all of the phone calls I made these prices should be with a shear bolt, and most likely without chains, unless it comes standard from the manufacturer. At the moment I am generally leaning towards the the Bush Hog, Landpride, and Kodiak, and generally in order of interest. Anyone have any thoughts or input that might steer me in one direction over the other?

I will say that I like the round back design of the Brushhog and Landpride.

/ Rotary Cutter Gut Check #2  
I used to have a Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader, behind which I pulled a well used, 48" Standard Duty, King Kutter Rotary Cutter.

They were a well matched pair. I used the KK two years and it seemed not to have incurred any wear, though of course it did.

Now I have a much heavier Kubota L3560 tractor/loader behind which I pull a 60" medium-duty Land Pride RCF2060 Rotary Cutter.

Though the Land Pride is heavier constructed, the L3560 is so much more powerful I have bent in the vertical rear skirting in two places, thrusting it into jungle in reverse. Does not harm operation but I kick myself for mangling my new implement. No more backing into jungle; forward only.

I like the domed deck on the RCF2060. I can sweep debris off with an arm.

All the brands you are considering are fine. Designs are propriety but all RC gear boxes come from one of two factories in China. PTOs come from China or Italy. Blades come from India or Brazil. The only domestic content is the housing and tower.

RC's are among the most rugged of implements.

As you probably know, BUSH HOG invented/designed/built the original in the 1950's, in Georgia.

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Gut Check #3  
Good morning. I've been doing a bit of research over the last couple of days into purchasing a 4' rotary cutter to run behind my BX2360. The main usage would be heading up to the family vacation property and clearing out the trash in between the pine trees in order to keep the area immediate around the house manageable. Basically that would involve running through (backing through) blackberrys, small maple saplings, grass, small pine limbs etc. The property is lightly sloped and I would be keeping the FEL on for balance. Basically within an hours drive from where I live I have access to almost all of the well known mfgs. Below are the price differences

Brush Hog BH14 - 1150.00
Woods - 995.00
Taylor Way/KK - 795.00
Big Bee - 750.00
LMC - 750

As far as I can remember from all of the phone calls I made these prices should be with a shear bolt, and most likely without chains, unless it comes standard from the manufacturer. At the moment I am generally leaning towards the the Bush Hog, Landpride, and Kodiak, and generally in order of interest. Anyone have any thoughts or input that might steer me in one direction over the other?

===================================================================================

If your determined to purchase rotary cutter by price alone thats one way.

but you should also consider a four foot caroni flail mower for the same job
simply because the cut will be better and the flail mower is much shorter in
total mounted implement length allowing you have more manuevering room
when in reverse.

ALSO a flail mower will recut the grass and brush where a rotary cutter will not do that.

/ Rotary Cutter Gut Check
If your determined to purchase rotary cutter by price alone thats one way.

Well, no not really, but price does play significantly into my decision as to what I am going to purchase. While, I appreciate your dedication to flail mower and it is my understanding that Caroni makes fine equipment the price and complexity of those machines are beyond what I need for my particular tasks.

All the brands you are considering are fine. Designs are propriety but all RC gear boxes come from one of two factories in China. PTOs come from China or Italy. Blades come from India or Brazil. The only domestic content is the housing and tower.

Thank you very much for the reassurance about the general construction amongst major brands. I kinda get the feeling that within price classes of mowers, for the same given size, that generally mower selection might come down to personal preference. I say that with a large grain of salt of course :)

Looks like I'm going to be picking up a Landpride RCR1248 for about 110.00 from a dealer a half hour away from me. The one for 950.00 was a little over an hour away. Way I figure it if the price difference is worth my time and gas driving as well as the reassurance of nearby support if there is a warranty issue. It's shear bolt protected, but I can always upgrade down the road if I feel like I need the added protection/ease of use.

/ Rotary Cutter Gut Check #5  
While not unheard of, there are few reports of sheared pins. Generally blade deflection unloads stress.

I never sheared a pin on the KK. My new Land Pride has a slip-clutch.

Good luck and Happy 'Hoging.

/ Rotary Cutter Gut Check #6  

Brush Hog BH14 - 1150.00
Woods - 995.00
Taylor Way/KK - 795.00
Big Bee - 750.00
LMC - 750

If max saplings are an inch or less your MMM would take care of it easy.

If max saplings are an inch or less your MMM would take care of it easy.

Very true, and I have used the belly mower for this work before. However, I also have a good idea that if I continued to do so I would likely end up beating the far out of the mid mount due to the other "stuff" that may or may not be laying around. I realize 1100 upfront for a rotary cutter sounds like expensive insurance, however I would rather break a shear bolt or repair a brushcutter than deal with repairs to my 60 inch belly mower or the mid PTO. Also the length of a rotary cutter in this case affords me The ability to cut some things that would otherwise be painful to reach.

/ Rotary Cutter Gut Check #8  
No more backing into jungle; forward only.

Back when I first started, I was told that one could cut anything you could drive over. Well, there are lots that I want to cut that I will NOT drive over. Backing is the only way! (Unless you go to a skid steer with a front mount cutter.) Especially on some of the newer tractors, the belly seems more vulnerable than on the old farm tractors. I didn't quite clear an old stump with my M9540 and it was $800 damage :(

I strongly prefer a slip clutch to a shear pin. YMMV. My first tractor/BH had a shear pin. I had to replace it a few times.

Personally, I have a 72" Woods and a 15' Bush Hog batwing. I am satisfied with both of them although the smaller one has had to have some welding repairs over the 15 years that I've had it. Most of my damage has originated by catching low stumps hidden in the weeds.

/ Rotary Cutter Gut Check #9  
As you probably know, BUSH HOG invented/designed/built the original in the 1950's, in Georgia.

Let's give credit where credit is due.

The Bush Hog, a rotary cutter that attaches to a tractor, revolutionized the agricultural industry when it was invented by two farmers in Dallas County, Ala., in 1950. Now the name is synonymous with ruggedness, durability and the highest level of customer satisfaction, according to the company Web site and satisfied customers the world over.

From www.edpa.org/docs/partners-magazine/f04art3.pdf

Steve

Especially on some of the newer tractors, the belly seems more vulnerable than on the old farm tractors. I didn't quite clear an old stump with my M9540 and it was $800 damage :(

I strongly prefer a slip clutch to a shear pin. YMMV. My first tractor/BH had a shear pin. I had to replace it a few times.

Yup BX's belly's seem to be especially vulnerable. I would like to get a slip clutch, but prior to that I'm going to spend some money with Harry over at BXpanded for some belly armor. As well, spend some time maneuvering around on flat open land with the bush hog prior to heading to my MIL's (family vacation) place. Her property's terrain is a lot rougher than mine. It will be nice however to get up there and cleanup the place for her. She has given so much of herself for my wife, my family and her kids, it will be nice to give back.

Let's give credit where credit is due.
;) Keeping us on the up and and up. :D BTW cute pup you posted in the dog name thread.

And while it's not the greatest here's a pic of the new "toy":

image.jpg

They're longer than I thought..... With the tractor, FEL and brush hog my 18' + 2' trailer is going to be filled up quick.